Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 240, 740 & 940
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2007, 11:21 PM

Default 91 740 turbo Break Light Problem!!!

I got pulled over today because most of my break lights were out. I was suprised. Anyway, my parking lights work fine but when i use the break, the only bulb that goes on is the passenger side and none of the other ones. I checked the bulbs and they look ok and i even tried the one bulb that works in the other 3 spots for bulbs and i got nothing. I do not know what wrong or what i can do to help this. I did see that one bulb looked like it wanted to be bright but couldent. Are there fuses for each side of the car? or something like that? I really dont know what to do, and i do not want another police stop. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 AM

Default RE: 91 740 turbo Break Light Problem!!!

I'm battling the same thing with my 240 too. Last night I noticed my left brake light didn't work, so I swapped out the bulb holders with the right side and then the parking light wouldn't work but the brake light did. I'm going to pick up new bulbs today because I did notice that the contacts on the bulb were a bit deformed looking from the holders. I bet a new set of bulbs will help you but then again I don't know much about the 740's tail light assembly and how it works. Could be the same as mine but my 740 knowledge is pretty much nil....
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM

UPDATE: I got some new bulbs but i dont think they are the issue. I was messing with the bulb failure fuse thing and that looked good so i took it out and put it back in. I then was wiggling wires that connect to the rear tail lights and now i got both passenger and driver side break lights to work, but only the very far ones, so basicaly when i use the breaks only 2 bulbs total come on. The other 2 nearer to the middle of the car still dont work. I cant figuer this out!!! Do i need new parts? or what, any help guys? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

You only have1 brake light bulb in the each of the main light units. You may also have a high level brake light but that is not in the main light units.

1996 850GLT 2.5 20v Estate Manual.
1995 Peugeot Boxer 2.5Tdi Autosleeper.

Previously:
1984 244DL, Manual.
1987 744GLE, Manual.
1991 960 3.0 24v, Auto.
1994 940T Wentworth, Auto.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:39 PM

I got some answers from a buddy, and he said it may be the circuit board...or something like that? It wears out over time he was saying.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:18 AM

I have looked and looked....but i cant find these circuit boards online...any help?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:22 AM

I think you would be better off and probably come out cheaper if you just buy the whole unit colgate. I bought mine from www.lampsandlenses.com for about $50 each and that included new circuit boards.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Thanks, i checked them out and for $66 each i can get new ones, but they did not say anything about including the circuit board etc...but you said they do? Is there a return policy? thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 PM

I would give them a call and see colgate. Heck man, I don't even know if the 740's have circuit boards on the tail lamps, once again I replied to a question thinking 240 the whole time (I really need to pay more attention to the model in the question before I rattle off a reply). Give them a call and I'm sure they will be able to lead you in the right direction.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Yeah, thoes do not come with the circuits etc....so i wont be doing that. But i got in touch with a local Volvo dealer and for $35 each i can get new circuits. I am leaning in that direction but im in no hurry, i got part of my break lights working for now ( wiggling wires etc...) so ill see if maybe i can clean the circuits up this weekend or something like that.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Tags
740, 91, boards, brake, circuit, dont, lamp, light, lights, problem, rear, repair, tail, volvo, work