94..940 non turbo sedan tble codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 94..940 non turbo sedan tble codes

Hello to all
On a 1994, 940 non-turbo sedan can you read trouble codes with an OBDII scanner? If so where is the port located on the auto, to plug the scanner into?
Thanks for any help in advance.
katman104,

Old 09-19-2010, 05:54 PM

Hi, You are pre ODBII. A search of this formum should return a number of posts on how to retrieve codes. The Haynes manual for the 940s is also very complete.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Read this,it will tell you how to retrieve dtc's from your car.

Volvo started using self-diagnostics on its Bosch LH 2.4 engine management systems in 1988 on 700 series non-turbo cars and in Regina-equipped cars. Earlier Bosch LH 2.2 and Turbo cars until 1990 had very limited self-diagnostic capability using an LED tester. In LH 2.4 cars, If a system fault occurs, then the "check engine" lamp will illuminate, signifying the presence of a fault code. For every model year using LH2.4 up to and including the '95s (except 200 series DLs and GLs), you can flash out fault codes, as well as perform input and output testing, through the OBD-I diagnostic connector unit simply by inserting a little self-contained probe and pressing a button. You do not need a special scan tool to read codes. As electronic systems were added to more Volvo models, more socket options and even more diagnostic connectors were added.
Unfortunately, you cannot use a generic code reader on any of these OBD-I cars: you have to manually extract the codes from the systems as noted below. 1996+ cars have the entirely different OBD-II system which requires a computerized code scanner to read codes through a special data link.

The diagnostic connector units for OBD-I systems are small black rectangular boxes mounted in front of the left-side(driver-side in LHD countries) shock tower. Earlier cars have only one unit ("A"); later cars have two ("A" and "B"). Diagnostic connector "A" contains the test terminal probe (the wire mounted on the side of the box in the picture) used in both A and B along with the test button and the LED readout lamp. In diagnostic connector A, socket 1 is for the electronic transmission (if your 960 or 90-series car has the AW30/40), socket 2 for fuel injection or Motronic, socket 3 for ABS, socket 6 for ignition and socket 7 for the instrument cluster. If the 1992+ car is so equipped with connector B, socket 1 is for the climate control, socket 2 for cruise control, socket 5 for the SRS and socket 6 for the memory seats.
For later 1996+ OBD-II equipped cars, the diagnostic connector was changed to an electronic data link and moved from under the hood to in front of the shifter in the console. As a result, you need a computerized scan tool to do everything from checking for codes to resetting the maintenance light. Maintenance light resetting, by the way, was returned to a push-button method in the very late '90s.
Note that 200 series DLs and GLs have self-diagnostic capability only for fuel and ignition control. All other systems except 1990-93 SRS require a proprietary tool. For '90 to '93 models with air bags, just jump a terminal to ground to get codes out of the system.

Dan

Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the info fellas. Found the OBDI testing apparatus and all test clear. The main thing I meant to say was that the service light is on and wanted to know how to extinguish it. Did a search and found the answer on the forum. Will try to clear when the wife gets home from work. Thanks again

Old 07-11-2021, 12:15 AM
Default Retrieval of codes

Originally Posted by katman104
Hello to all
On a 1994, 940 non-turbo sedan can you read trouble codes with an OBDII scanner? If so where is the port located on the auto, to plug the scanner into?
Thanks for any help in advance.
katman104,
So volvo was very ingenious with the way that they allow the car to spit out its codes so easily! When I bought my first volvo (94 940) I wanted to get my codes because the check engine light came on. So I looked all up under my dash, on the sides of my dash......nothing. So then I opened the hood and looked around an BAM! It's right there in the middle driver side. You will see 2 boxes approximately 2in.×1in. There's supposed to be plastic caps on each on but one is Grey and one is blk. There you go, happy code gathering. Under the cap of A side there should be a little wire with a metal tip, use that to put in the hole you are testing. Everytime you get a code (even if it's
1-1-1) you have to turn Your ignition on and off so it's on and off-test, on and off- test, on and off-test until you ate done. There's 6 he's in on each side, only 3 will have codes. Hope this helps.