Air being blown into the power steering reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air being blown into the power steering reservoir

Problem: When car is running, a constant stream of air is coming into the Power Steering Reservoir.

Today I lifted the front wheels off the ground, and with ignition position ON, turned the wheels to extreme left/right, holding for 5 seconds at each extreme. When holding wheels extreme to the right, I could hear a decent amount of large sized air bubbles. It seemed like the same amount of bubbles every time I turned the wheel to the right. I had a friend look, and he could see that I'm also getting a little bit of bubbles to the extreme left (small ones).

I turned the car on, so the engine is running now, front wheels still off the ground in a neutral position, and a constant flow of bubbles started pouring into the reservoir. The reservoir being the little bottle by the battery where you would pour fluid into.

What is my car's problem, and how do I fix it?

Last edited by sandraqu; 01-22-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming your power steering reservoir is filled to the correct level, you have a leak in the suction side of the power steering pump.
Any leaks in the pressure side of the system just create fluid leaks, only the suction side of the pump can draw in air and feed it through the system.
I would start by checking the hose from the reservoir to the pump and any fittings on that hose, for leaks.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM

No leaks. Given that the only 'leak' was a massive outpouring at the reservoir, and a moaning sound that could convince anybody that the car was in great pain, I replaced the power steering pump.

All is wonderful. No moan. No air. No froth. The car drives as if there was only 50% power to the power steering however. Is that normal? Is that the nature of the beast? The system definitely feels different, but I can't turn the wheels with my girl power unless the car is moving.

I'm going to check for air again tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM

Interestingly I just today came across a car with a leaking hose on the inlet to the power steering pump. What happens is the pump sucks air in from the loose joint and fluid from the reservoir. You can't see the leak because this hose is the suction side, so the hose is leaking internally.
Have you bled the power steering on the car since you fitted the new pump? Just turn the steering wheel lock to lock with engine running repeatedly till any froth in the power steering reservoir disappears. If the steering is too heavy to do this, just jack up front of car to take some weight off it, wheels just touching the ground.
Also check to ensure pump belt is not slipping.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Thanks Typhoon.

I do have a leak after all, but it seems to be down low (at or near rack and pinion). I will check the froth, and see if it's gone. I did try and bleed the system.

The car seems to have power steering sometimes. For a while it seemed that it only effectively had power steering when turning to the left, any left turns, but none for any right turns. That became inconsistent however. So there is still something the matter, but what oh what.

Should I use a leak stopper fluid?

Also, I'm starting to see white smoke out the tail pipe. How much more time and money should I spend on this car?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sandraqu
Thanks Typhoon.

I do have a leak after all, but it seems to be down low (at or near rack and pinion). I will check the froth, and see if it's gone. I did try and bleed the system.

The car seems to have power steering sometimes. For a while it seemed that it only effectively had power steering when turning to the left, any left turns, but none for any right turns. That became inconsistent however. So there is still something the matter, but what oh what.

Should I use a leak stopper fluid?

Also, I'm starting to see white smoke out the tail pipe. How much more time and money should I spend on this car?
How much money to spend is always a big question. I think you need a new steering rack by the sounds of it. I think you might have an issue with the valve body on the rack.
Stop leak works on slow, weeping leaks, but if you have drips, it won't work. I have used Lucas Power steering stop leak quite successfully.
White smoke could be many things. When does it blow smoke? Constantly, accelerating, idling?
Money put into a car and when to get out of that car is a tricky thing. I see many people spend a fair bit of money on a car, have it almost there, then ditch the car because they need to replace something cheap.
You have to consider how much you'd spend on another car, would that car be of a price range that would have similar problems and if so, are you better off with the car that has already had some stuff fixed?
You also have to know that any car is going to consume money on maintenence, some need it all at once though!

Regards, Andrew.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Thanks Andrew I do think a rack and pinion is in order. I was hoping I was done breaking fingernails.

I'm going to start the white smoke in another thread.