Brake Lights Not Working When Tail Lights Are On

Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights Not Working When Tail Lights Are On

When the tail lights are on, the brake lights are not bright enough to outshine the tail lights, so it appears to anyone driving behind me that my brake lights are not working. However, the brake light that is in the rear window always illuminates properly. (The problem is that the tail lights are brighter than the brake lights when they are both on.) Any advice to resolve this?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Install dual filament bulbs in the brake lights. Or check your grounds to the brake lamps.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM

I'm having the same problem. Something is up with my brake lights, but I think you have it backwards, or maybe I'm having a slightly different problem with my 88 244. I am using dual filament bulbs by the way.

My problem also happens when I turn the taillights on. The bulb failure light illuminates and all lights are on in the back that are supposed to be on, but the brake lights (the outer lower segment) appears like it is already very bright, and when I push the brake, I get no additional intensity, but like you, I get the back window light to light up. Also, The bulb failure light is off when the taillights are off/headlights off but when I brake the bulb failure light lights up on the dash.

I'm thinking it's something with the brake lights, but I think that for whatever reason when I turn the headlights/taillights on, or hit the brakes, the brake lights are always set to on (both filaments are on), so they can't get brighter. Anyone had this problem?

Last edited by zloetakoe; 06-11-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Check all your grounds and power supplies to the rear lights. Seems like your brake lights are gounded out at the brake switch causing them to stay on. The high mount is on a separate circuit coming out of the switch, which could only be a one sided short. I would personally start at the brake switch checking for it being grounded out on one side.

Last edited by eeeewidner; 06-12-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Well, after tinkering around with the lights for about 30 minutes I called it quits. But I drove it a short time later and all of a sudden the left turn signal wasn't working! So I went at it again for a little while. Finally got the blinker working right (not sure what I did though other than unplug socket and put it back in a few times???).

Then today I had to take the car somewhere. I noticed that when I was turning right and had my foot on the brake that the bulb failure light would blink off and on and it corresponded to the blinker, then the bulb failure light would stay off after completing the turn. When I would turn left the light would come back on! It's maddening. But, After 5-6 minutes of city driving with lots of braking and turn signals, the bulb failure turned off and stayed off, something it has never done. Drove the car a few times after that and never had a problem, and the lights are all working properly when I tested them later.

Like I said, I have no idea what happened, I tried to clean the contacts a little, but right after doing so, it made no difference. Now all the lights appear to be working and I can sleep at night knowing that the bulb failure wasn't on at least for a little while today. Who knows about tomorrow though.