Won't start or will but cuts off or no power

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start or will but cuts off or no power

Ok here's the scenario: Everything was fine with the car (90 240) running strong no problems. Got the oils changed and was told my belts were a bit worn. I figured better get them done sooner that later. After belts were changed start to hear squeaking/whining sound normally when the heat was on. I figured it was the blower motor.
Now (within last 3 days), has occasion when car wont start. All lights come on (check engine, brake failure, etc). The first time it happened I cranked it again and was off. Yesterday, it took a bit of effort to get it on. Seemed to want to cut off when shifting. I upped the idle a little and seemed fine. This morning started fine, seemed as if trying to cut off but kept going. I tried to head to work but as much as I gassed the car it was going it's own speed.

Need some advice on what it could be.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Default RE: Won't start or will but cuts off or no power

OK, all your lites are on, and your belts are loose. Its not so bad. Your car is probably overheating too.

Your Crankshaft pulley(harmonic balancer) has probably seperated from the damper. You can put some hot yellow fingernail polish on the outer, and inner section of the pulley, and watch it for about 30 seconds, maybe more. If the fingernail polish is in two different locations when you stop the engine. This would be your problem(harmonic balancer).

If so, there are many website you can purchase one for about $60. ($200 at dealers).

There are only a few ways to remove it, but while you are doing this, check your Timing belt, and possibly change it, also.

Now a simpler solution, but doubtful, could be your belt between your alternator, and crankshaft broke. However, check broken belts first.

1990 740GL Rex 217K
1997 960

Old 04-05-2006, 12:54 PM

The belts seem tight when I checked before. I thought it might have been the Mass Flow Sensor. That may have been causing this. I will check that and get back to you.

thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM

k just checked the double belts are not lining up at all. Is that an issue with the belts being loose? I haven't checked the pulley yet though.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:31 PM

I have attached three pix here to see if you can see if this is your problem. You will notice the paint/polish on the damper and pulley on the last photo. This part can actually run as little as $60 on the net.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4406/39438CE5745D480D90F63692B0F14626.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4406/EC8BEC6C02BB43908727551AE5374C11.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4406/80D6F9E142594063B288982647304EE5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2006, 12:52 PM

K had belts checked. they are good. cutoff problem has not happened again. on way to have belts check, while there or back. Did disconnect map and the cut off problem duplicated itself so I know that. Replaced air filter. cleaned everything out. Had checked fluids and was fine. Oil was changed less than 3000 miles ago. Today heading to work seemed as if car was having trouble shifting. I would gas it and it would rev but seemed to be taking time to accelerate and shift. Once car got warm though no problems ran smooth. Dont' know if that's the MAP or not.

Old 04-06-2006, 07:43 PM

Check your codes, and see what you get. I assume, the pix were useless for you. The reason I believed this was:

all lights on, the squeaking, and the difficulty shifting. The first time it happened to me, I could really hear squealing when I turned on my a/c.

If your pulley is good, check the output on your alternator. Eventhough, I have the 8 Valve, I purchased the turbo alternator. It's cheaper, more output (100 amps vs. 80 amps), and It has not fail since I bought it at least 3 years ago. I also upgraded my battery to the MAXX 1-S (9-year warranty (Wal-Mart)). I orignally bought the battery for another vehicle, but transfered it to this one, when I bought the alternator. With a higher output alternator, you may want to up the batteries.

My first alternator bound up, and burned 3 belts in less than a minute, before I realize what was going on.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 PM

yeah that's it. when the ac is on it squeals like crazy. I thought it was the Air Flow Sensor that may have been causing the problem.

K so check the pully you say? Which? I also have a new Die Hard in there. I doubt it's the alternator.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Look at the pulley in the pix I sent on this forum, mark the pulley with a bright nail polish or marker, and watch it for about 2 min. When you stop the car. You will probably see the mark you put there are not line up anymore.

If you look at my pic of the harmonic balancer pulley, you'll see 2 marks. This is a used pulley I got for cheap. I will eventually buy a new one when this one goes out. If you wait too long to change it. It can cause other issues. Take my word for it. It happened to me.

First, the outer section moved inward marring my timing belt cover. Finally, it fell off, put a big hole in my tranny pan, and all Hell broke loose from there.

The good part is your timing doesn't get messed up.

These pix I sent move closer to the pulley, until you can see the detail. The pix will expand if you put your cursor on it, and press the expand button.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:39 PM

BTW, my pix don't have the AC belt hooked up, it should be. When the pulley first broke, 2 years ago, my ac belts broke, and eventually created other issues with my a/c compressor. I am just getting around to putting them on, now. It's gets hot in TX, but this won't be my primary brick this year.