Time for some front end work

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for some front end work

1990 240DL Sedan, ~140K miles

I took the car in to diagnose a vibration I was feeling at around 40 mph. A road test found the vibration and also noise and pull to the left when braking. A follow-up inspection found I need:

- new front brakes and rotors
- possible caliper work or replacement
- left lower ball joint is worn and loose
- the front wheel bearings are loose and should be replaced
- balance and rotate the tires to check condition of tires and lateral tread shift

1. With the exception of the wheel balance, I am planning to do the work myself. I've been reading the Bentley manual, and reading related information on this and other Volvo sites. While I am feeling more comfortable with doing the work myself, the ideal would be to find a mentor who lives nearby. Is there anyone in the Nashua, NH who might be interested?

2. Given all that I will be doing, is there any other preventive things I should do/consider while I am fixing all of the above?

3. I found directions at http://volvospeed.com/Repair/caliper_rebuild.html for rebuilding the calipers. How can I determine whether a rebuild or replacement is the way to go?

4. And what might 'lateral thread shift' be?

thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the volvo and other cars - vibration that comes and goes at certain speeds is always the wheels. So it might be a good idea to have the tires balanced and rotated first, to see how much of a difference that makes.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM

From many years of experience I have learned to be skeptical about what shops tell you. You probably don't need half of that! The beauty of Volvo repair is that it's always better than you thought. Start with balancing the tires, may be rotate them and see what happens. Check the pads. If the rotors don't shimmy, leave them alone. If the calipers are not leaking or sticking, leave them alone. Loose bearings? Double check that, are they? Grab the tires when the car is in the air and shake them, are they loose? Ball joint? Easy to check, and do. "Lateral tread shift"? Oh, for that you need real professional expertise! Just kidding! Fuhgetaboutit! It is BS.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 AM

The 'lateral thread shift' usually occurs when they bring you the final bill

Old 10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Default Boat payment

I'm skeptical- Caliper "might" need replacing? either they are leaking or not. stuck piston or not. Look for even wear and dry caliper. Pull to the left means the right side is not doing its work- the left side is doing all the work. As far as the other. I'd do the (easy) ball joints first then see how it drives. Probably a tire balance too. If still has problems, then do more. I try to get the big stuff done before the snow starts falling- which has happened already this year... Dave

Last edited by daver80; 10-26-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:37 AM
Default Time for some front end work

Good luck with the sale and btw where is the picture of the car on its new wheels or are you keeping us all waiting with baited breath

Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Default Jack Stand Location?

I jacked up one side of the front end using the standard Volvo 240 jack. But now where do I place the jack stand?

A search of this and other 240 forums, and the Bentley manual don't help. The best I could find was placing the jack stand at the jack point. Kind of tough to do since the Volvo jack is there, and the screw end of this jack extends under the car a fair distance.

thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Default Jack Stand Location?

I jacked up one side of the front end using the standard Volvo 240 jack. But now where do I place the jack stand?

A search of this and other 240 forums, and the Bentley manual don't help. The best I could find was placing the jack stand at the jack point. Kind of tough to do since the Volvo jack is there, and the screw end of this jack extends under the car a fair distance.

Anyone possibly have a picture that shows the jack stand location with the Volvo jack in place, or describe where to place the jack stand?

thanks

Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM
k

I recently came across this great resource from the volvoforums.org.uk website. Some of their terminology is a bit different (ex. timing belt = cam belt) but it's a wealth of info.
Enjoy!

200 Series articles page:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=138
Article on how to safely raise your car:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=50445

Let us know how it goes!
Koos

Old 11-04-2009, 07:31 PM

If you're going to use jack stands, best to jack up the whole front end at the center of the front cross member using a floor jack. That's the cross member that supports the engine through the motor mounts. Might have to remove the splash pan first. Jack stands should always be used in pairs.

If putting the rear on jack stands, use a floor jack at the differential.