how do I get air out of fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I get air out of fuel lines?

I replaced the fuel filter and now the car doesn't start. I think I may have gotten some air into the lines? How do I get this out? The car won't start now. It chokes and chokes and nothing. It ran at first after the filter change but then died out.

Can you help? I really need the Volvo tonight!! - Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I would think that the lines would drain out completely when you replace the filter, meaning the whole line would be full of air. I think when I replaced mine, I had to choke it for a bit to get it to come through. If you are still having issues and think its the gas line, there is a little bleed valve on the bar where the injectors are plugged into. It looks like a bicycle valve, but metal. You can check to see if there is any gas pressure from there.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks so much. I just tried taking off the hose that led from the fuel tank. Even when trying to start the car no gas came through the line from the fuel tank before the oil filter. That has me confused, since the fuel pump worked just fine before I replaced the fuel filter. I'll try to locate the valve to release pressure - hopefully that works!! I like that its a diesel, but it sure makes my manual that much more useless...

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 AM

If you turn the key forwards without starting, you should hear a buzzing noise from the fuel pump. You should be able to hear it easy with the door open. Its that way in all 3 of my gas 940s anyhow. If you cant hear anything, use a piece of hose or tubing and hold it to the pump and listen at the other end. If nothing, check to see if you pulled a socket out when changing the filter.
I'm not sure how a diesel works, but my cars have 2 fuel pumps. One in the tank, and one under the car. Supposedly you can burn out pumps if you run them with no fuel flowing through them to cool them down. My brother did it once. So it is a possibility that you burnt one or both out.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuel filter was installed the correct way and check to see you haven't inadvertently had any fuel lines kink or crush due to the new filter install.
I've NEVER had to bleed fuel lines on a petrol engine after replacing a fuel filter, carbed or injected, just crank and away it goes. If the car has an electric pump, it'll self prime, if it's carbed it'll run on the fuel in the fuel bowl till the fuel pumps through.

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 AM

couple things...never on a volvo BUT, I've replaced three fuel pumps on vehicles that allegedly only needed a filter change. Sometimes the only thing keeping older pumps active is the positive fuel pressure to the injectors. Once you release that pressure and drain the fuel, the pumps don't have the gumption to pressurizer the entire line.

Having said that....yours is a diesel? I've never worked on a diesel Volvo before but typically there's some kind of manual hand crank/pump on the fuel pump (under the hood I'm assuming) to prime the fuel lines on a diesel motor. Without the manual pump, I've read that many systems require vacuum applied to the line at the rail.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 AM

is there a red wire, other than the positive wire, connected to the battery? If so, you might have loosen the battery connection wire that feeds electricity to the pump. this happened to me.... but I have an 86 240 DL not a diesel.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! An update to the solution.

After changing the fuel filter I got air into the fuel lines. The car started and ran for a minute but then dies. The car would choke but not turn over. I tried to hand pump through a removable bolt on the top of the filter housing and air came out but after 40 minutes I gave up as I was 100% that the air I was pumping out was coming from the fuel lines. It did seem to help a bit, though.

What worked was just choking the engine more. White smoke would come out and it would get close to turning over after about 40 seconds. 10-15 seconds on and then wait, then 10-15 seconds on... To purge the lines of air the nuts at the end of the fuel injectors were loosened and the air bubbled out after the engine started to run.

I guess now I know to put enough into the fuel filter first when changing it next time!

Old 03-06-2010, 02:08 AM

You have a fuel pump problem or a problem with a restriction in your fuel line somewhere before the pump.
You should fix it now before you are left stranded.
All fuel injection systems on petrol cars are designed to run dry and self prime.
I eagerly await your loss of power on acceleration/no power on highway thread!

Regards, Andrew.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 PM

Typhoon - I'm expecting you to help me fix the problem if/when it arises. The diesel runs great now(no power interruptions at all) so I'll just enjoy the ride. All I need now is for the tie rod ends and air filter housing to show up in the mail.

Brian

Old 12-30-2010, 09:55 PM

So help please, 240 gasoline Volvo, installed new filter the canister type next to in line fuel pump. Once done fired off it is running rough. Leading me to believe air in injectors. How to purge? Will this purge on its own with a bit of driving? if no HOW TO GET AIR OUT OF INJECTOR LINES? THANKS, 4BNBAD