Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 240, 740 & 940
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Default How do a remove the harmonic balancer

I am going to put a new timing belt in my 1989 245 non turbo, automatic tranmission. My air impact will not remove the bolt on the harmonic balancer. I saw a "you tube guy" put a bolt in the fly wheel sensor port to hold the engine. He was then able to put a breaker bar on the bolt and break it loose. I did not see a fly wheel position sensor on my flex plate. How does everyone remove this bolt? Is 60 newton meter the correct torque spec for this bolt? Any thing else I should know?

Thanks Don
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator
1973 Volvo 142
My Garage

The real issue is not removing the bolt; it's re-tightening it to spec. Assuming you have a nice 24" breaker bar, you can simply have someone bump the starter to get it loose. To re-tighten it using the method you mentioned, you'd need to remove the crank sensor on the back side of the engine low where the bell housing meets the block, directly on top. A second method is to jam a screwdriver into the ring gear. A third is to buy the handy dandy crank pulley holder from IPD and last but not least, the rope trick whereby you pull a spark plug (your choice, feed a length of 1/4" rope down into the cylinder and let the piston come up and compress it until it won't move...crude but very effective.
Torque is 44 ft/lbs plus 90 degrees.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Tags
240, 70, 740, balance, balancer, dampner, harmonic, harmoninc, holder, removal, remove, removing, s80, spec, special, tool, torque, volvo, xc