I Busted One Of The Bolts For Automatic Over-drive, Solenoid .....Will One Bolt be enough ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Busted One Of The Bolts For Automatic Over-drive, Solenoid .....Will One Bolt be enough ?

I BUSTED ONE OF THE BOLTS FOR Automatic Over-Drive Solenoid trying to remove so I could do the hole mod or buy new Solenoid block off kit, so now I am Worried one bolt might not keep enough pressure on the seal............am I in trouble?
I test drove for a mile and came back and checked for leaks and found none...Yet

What say you experts?

Do I need a whole new trans ?
Can I get by with only one bolt.....is there very much fluid pressue there at Solenoid?

I started this project because My Over drive is shorting out when I go over bumps its comes back then goes out over the next set of bumps, so I figured I would just do the mod and be done with it...

Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I Busted One Of The Bolts For Automatic Over-drive, Solenoid .....Will One Bolt be enough ?

Did you justbreak the bolt itself, or the part the bolt attaches to?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Default RE: I Busted One Of The Bolts For Automatic Over-drive, Solenoid .....Will One Bolt be enough ?

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

Did you justbreak the bolt itself, or the part the bolt attaches to?
The front bolt Broke off about 10mm below the bracket for solenoid inside trans housing, the back bolt moves fine and seems to be ok to remove.....I have not removed it yet, but was thinking I should go ahead and finish taking the good bolt out and removing the solenoid to do the groove hole mod so my overdrive will work ........Gas mileage will be too bad if stuck in 3rd gear all the time......

This is stessing me out Real BadI need this car to look for work and get a job.....I have been laid off for 5 months and need to get back out looking for work, for the last week all I have done is get this car road worthy so I can get back out there looking for work.......I am married Own my own Home and have many bills to be paid, this Volvo Must be fixed or my wife and I are screwed !

Help me please guy's...................

Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Got Boost?

Well you said that you test drove it with the one bolt out, and no leaks. Ifyou can find a bolt to fit in there temporarily that would be best,butleave itand wait to see what tech or some oneelse thinks.
You could do the solenoid mod or you could get IPD's ODsolenoidbypass kitso it will actlike a normal 4speedtransmission.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-700/Tran...-194-669-1892/
Wish I could help more.
Good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 AM

[align=left]Don't freak out, it's not that bad. If it was my car, I'd get out the ol'e silicone and seal it up that way. If you're really crazy, you can drop the trans, drill and tap out the broken bolt and you're as good as new. No new trans is necessary. I'd try to silicone it for sure, you don't need too much, and the existing bolt should hold it fine.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Was it really tight when it broke?
Or maybe did you by accident turn it the wrong way and break it off?

Sorry ti ask such a stupid question but if it is seized in there you will need to drop the tranny.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 AM

it was really tight, and as experience has taught me I loosened it a little then tightened it a little working it slowly out , it was getting nice and loose for a few mm then got tight again on its way up and out then broke, I got it to come up and out about 8mm "maybe 7 threads" the head has about 5 to 7 threads on it that broke off....

I was taking my time and being careful but could not avoid it breaking obviously..$%&^*!!

Old 10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thats sucks you might have to pull the tranny to get it out.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

Well you said that you test drove it with the one bolt out, and no leaks. Ifyou can find a bolt to fit in there temporarily that would be best,butleave itand wait to see what tech or some oneelse thinks.
You could do the solenoid mod or you could get IPD's ODsolenoidbypass kitso it will actlike a normal 4speedtransmission.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-700/Tran...-194-669-1892/
Wish I could help more.
Good luck.
Well thank you ...I ordered the part and took off the solenoid , then cleaned the surface with parts cleaner and a few clean rags then blasted the surface clean with parts cleaner...........then put duct tape over the hole and now I wait for about 4 days to get the part from the west coast to here in Michigan.

I drove the car today down 50 miles to my brothers work, he work at a front end shop and works with a volvo guy, there were absolutley NO Leaks So I figured along with them to pull the tranny and we will remove the broken bolt.................but that will be in about a month or so if we do it, in the mean time I am going to put on the bypass plate when it comes and I will use some Yamabond 4 Gasket goop to insure a tight fit with the one bolt, since the solenoid bracket did not leak at all I figure this may be good enuff........here is the Yamabond 4
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/...71/detail.aspx

Should be good I think, what say you?

Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Got Boost?

Sounds like a plan, unless tech says other-wise. Good luck and hope it works out. keep us posted.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM

success...................so far.
My plan worked, one bolt is doing the trick.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Got Boost?

Good to hear. Hope it all works out.