Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 240, 740 & 940
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Default I need help with wiring a '91 240 wagon tail light assembly

Does anyone know the color codes for the tail light wires for a 1991 Volvo 240 wagon? I am replacing the right side tail light assembly, but I can't seem to get the brake light working quite right. There are 2 wires to the brake, and I presume one is yellow. Honestly, I can't find the diagram I made when I took the old one off, and I'm just guessing at this point. Any help would be very appreciated, thanks.

I have tried following a basic wiring diagram from the Haynes manual, but its difficult to match some of the color codes. So far, I have the brown/white to the tail light pole (working), the black wire which relays from the left assembly to the backup light (working), the blue to the turn signal (working), and the purple/white and yellow to the brake poles (not working)

I also have the ground attached to the frame
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.320022428056977.75595.115469771845578&type=1

Attached shows the wires for a 92 wagon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wagon-lights-92.JPG (26.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Re: diagram

Thanks for your help. This is actually the same diagram that I have been using as a reference. Unfortunately, it does not match the wires exactly as I see them, and there are 2 poles at the brake light. I have figured out everything but those. One might think that it would be a simple matter of using the 2 wires that are unused, but the purple/white and yellow don't seem to be the correct ones. So far, I haven't been able to discover what works with the yellow. I'm going to a salvage yard today and have a look at the color codes on another wagon I have been getting parts from lately. Next time I work on an electrical issue, I'm going to label the wires.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM

LH-tail light assy
Black-ground
Black-reverse lights (12v with key on shifter in reverse position)
Violet-rear fog light
Yellow/Gray-brake light
Red-tail light
Blue/Green-signal light

RH-tail light assy
Black-ground
Black-reverse lights (12v with key on shifter in reverse position)
Yellow-brake light
Brown/White-taillight
Blue-signal light

Dan

94-Volvo 850
84-Volvo 245
85-Volvo 245 Turbo
84-Volvo 245 V8 conversion LT1 4L60E trans
82-Volvo 242 sold
89-Volvo 740 Turbo sold
95-Volvo 850 Turbo
47-Chevrolet Suburban
82-Porsche 911 3.2 conversion
94-Chevrolet S10 Blazer 2wd LS1 conversion
02-Honda Accord
91 Chevrolet Suburban 2wd
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 AM

Thanks, but can anyone identify the purple/white wire? Is that the correct wire that attaches to the second pole next to the yellow wire at the brake socket? I have everything working OK but the brake lights. The fuses are OK. The failure relay is also working. Unfortunately, I don't have a low voltage tester to discover what circuits that purple/white responds to. If anyone has a 90-93 240 wagon, maybe just a quick look could solve this problem? My trip to the salvage yard was fruitless.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.320022428056977.75595.115469771845578&type=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoble View Post
Thanks, but can anyone identify the purple/white wire?
The Bentley manual shows a Violet/white wire going to the fog light... I have a sedan, otherwise I would look.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:11 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone! I did figure out what the correct color scheme is for my model year.

Right side
brown/white and the yellow -- brake
violet/white --tail light
blue --turn indicator
black --backup light; and obviously the other black is the ground.

The Left side
yellow/gray and red --brake
violet --tail light
blue/green --turn indicator
black -- backup light (2 black wires, the other relays to the right side)
black --ground
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Default 45 minutes of my life wasted

I was unable to logon to my account, and could not set up a new account or get my password sent to me because of all the spam protection crap.

I have numerous screenshots of the anti spam words, and my correct typing of them. Each time it followed with tell me I spelled them wrong.

This is the last time I will participate in this forum. There are better ones out there, or else I'll start my own. Never again will I subject myself to this tedious bull****.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:07 PM

Tags
1991, 240, 740, assembly, brake, diagram, left, light, se, sockets, tail, volvo, wagon, white, wiring