My 83 242TI

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 83 242TI

Well I purchased this car about five months ago now. I got it to replace my sunday driver a 1991 Volkswagen Jetta 16v that I was hopelessly not in love with anymore and what was once a great relationship had eventually turned into a relationsh!t.

I bought it for 1500 from Al's Volvo in Jacksonville FL. The guy was a bit of an *** but thats not my problem anymore. He seemed nice at first but then was a dick about everything. Anyways it is a 1983 Volvo 242TI. I had emailed VCOA specifically that guy Ray Parsons and he after about 2 months got back to me and said that he was 99% sure i had a Group A car.

Group A info.
http://flathood.saliv8.com/

I told hims its not a flathood though and he said they weren't all equipped that way. Whatever I still love it. The interior is decent, the exterior is also. When i got the car it needed alot of work just to get it running. But now it works well and has done well in this beginning process of getting everything working. I redid all the wiring, and cleaned all the fuel lines and well I've been cleaning fixing and mending a lot of things to get the car back to stock, and running well.

So t his is what it looked like when i bought it.
Name:  SANY0434.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  SANY0438.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  103.3 KB
Name:  SANY0439.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  61.9 KB

I buffed it out really nice, this is how it looks now.
Name:  SANY0447.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  98.9 KB

So, on to "The Plan"

Exterior:
I want to get rid of the 4 rust spots and smooth out all the dents and get the car repainted, probably the same color. Maybe a little darker with more metallic in it. I want to satin black the current headlight surround and get a flat hood and matching grille for it. Or do like a 78 GT look. I'm going to remove the vinyl under the windows and fix some of the trim. I might also fill in the belt line holes and run with out belt trim.

Interior:
New seats, would like to find nice beige leather ones to replace the ones that are in there since they are a bit crappy. I also want to put in a new dash. I pretty much want to make it look like it did the day it came off the show room floor inside. Which might mean me building a set of door cards since they seem almost impossible to find OEM in good shape.

Now for the fun stuff:
Suspension:
Suspension so far has been upgraded to Bilstein HD's all the way around and some used SAM sport spring kit action. In the future I've already bought some Hypercoil stuff coil over rings. I just need to buy a few more things and start the build action. I'm following this guys recipe. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...ight=coilovers

Brakes:
Nothing too ambitious, pretty much new everything has been put in. New pads, front calipers and rotors in the read just new pads. Everything else was okay. And some new brake fluid. I have a friend who is trying to talking me in to swapping on some big brakes he has sitting around.

Engine and drivetrain:
SO far I rebuilt the .63/.48 turbo that came on the car. But i'm looking at getting a larger coldside. Maybe I can talk my friend out of his T4 back plate and .60 cold side. I have a 91+ manifold on there did a 11th terminal mod for now. I plan on putting in a B23FT intake still in order to get ready for the MSNS thats in the future. I also have a 530 head sitting on the work bunch that I am starting to port and polish, maybe try the singh grooves.I've ordered up a Ebay 31x12x3 intercooler rather than doing the NPR. I'll need to pick up some new boost piping and couplers yada yada.

As for the transmission I'm keeping in the AW71 since I plan on going near 250whp and would definitely blow up a m47 transmission. I do plan on modding the valve body for quicker shifts here as soon as I get a chance to get under the car. I do have a g80/1031 rear end in the car already, but may in the future look into a different LSD system.

Other:
I'm a bit pedantic, I tend to over due a lot of things. So as I go through fixing stuff up i'll probably clean every single thing, strip it or sand blast it, then Powder coat whatever or polish and clear coat it. I plan on putting it on a decent diet too, because she could stand to lose some weight. I was looking at the under body coating and i think i could lose 40 lbs there, then just paint it black with rustoleum after getting it all off.

I know my plans aren't the craziest out there. I just want to have a car that is basically OEM+ laying 200-250 at the rear wheels, handles great, stops well, and is reliable. Is that too much too ask.

I'll keep you guys posted and finish up with a few more recent photos, even though these are kinda old now too.
Name:  SANY0524.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  97.1 KB
Name:  cropped.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  50.6 KB
Name:  SANY0514.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  102.0 KB

Last edited by adub96; 04-29-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awsome! I need to get some dough to bring my 82 244 up to par!

You should put the super60 compressor on...you know Rob (244NA) from TB....he has that and it works very well.

BTW....

How much boost you running for terminal 11 to not flood your motor?

Last edited by TIPSP; 04-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
Awsome! I need to get some dough to bring my 82 244 up to par!

You should put the super60 compressor on...you know Rob (244NA) from TB....he has that and it works very well.

BTW....

How much boost you running for terminal 11 to not flood your motor?
Thanks I need to really work on the car more but damn jobs and family stuff always gets in the way. The T3/T4 hybrid is still my plan right now but when the day comes that I put in a new motor I'm probably getting a Holset or something with ball bearings that is large. I have the 11th terminal turning on at 13.5lbs (which I understand is the limits of turbo kjet fueling) and I run it out to 15.5-16lbs which is probably the ragged edge of limits on my current turbo. I have a MBC I built controlling boost and one i bought between the manifold and overcharge switch to sort of trick it into not shutting off, if that makes sense. it still runs a bit rich, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I have heard you can run up to 18lbs, but i don't know if thats internet folklore. As it stands I have to pedal the gas to keep traction in first gear, if I nail it, it just breaks loose. Second gear around 4500 rpms it will start to get loose. I like it.

Last edited by adub96; 04-29-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Got Boost?

Sweet! T3/T4 would be my choice also....
That hotside your using will support 20+psi no problems....

Yes it make sence, but which switch is that....The one above the valve cover?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM

the one by the valve cover that is blue and white is a charge pressure switch, I believe at 2.5lbs or maybe way less than that, it comes on and gives a little more gas. The overcharge switch is down by the pedals. I understand you can just disconnect them. But i wanted to have it as a little extra insurance so left it on and put the bought mbc there, just in case i get a crazy boost spike. Probably actually doesn't work, but in my head it does, and I haven't had any catastrophic events. But if I blow the motor up, well. Que sera, build another one.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Got Boost?

Cool Thanks!

I will have to look into this mod....once I start doing sh*t to the car.

You should rock the flathood. I plan on doing the flathood once I get the car to a drivable state.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM

i've sourced a hood, grille and front end setup off a 78 242gt that i'm thinking is just going to have to be rocked.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Got Boost?

Sweet...

I think I might also be getting a 242GT grillset. All I need then is the hood, which I would love to find an old CarbonFiber hoods....

Last edited by TIPSP; 04-29-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Well it's been ahwile since I updated the thread, and i've been doing a lot of work on the car with out taking pictures. I have the suspension done except the whole sway bar thing, which I plan on getting to sometime in the hear future. Brakes are all done and i've pulled the interior to be redone. But anyways here is the motor stuff I've been working on. It's been fun taking the motor apart and finding that someone had done some less than stellar work on it prior to me getting the car.

Throttle body before.

and after.

I was going to remove the poppet and solder the whole shut but then I thought about it and decided not to. Even though i guess it does block some air flow.

The head before.

and after, I still need to finish the bowls and clean it up some more, but it's not bad.

Also cleaned and ported the intake out.

And started to polish the valve cover.

the wiring loom had seen better days, fixed that but i don't have a picture of the after.

took a picture of the engine bay, but nothing to really see here. I have a lot to do there.

Well thats it for now. I'll keep working on it after vacation.

oops, started to port out the 91+ also. For got pics of the new cam,

Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful car. I haven't had a chance to read all the posts, but this looks like a great resource for me when I find the time and money to clean up my ride a bit. the paint looks great after just a bit of polishing, and I'd love to see how it looks without the belt molding.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Well ody work is last. So in about 6 months you'll know.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:19 PM

haha - hope mine is still going strong by then.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:42 PM

I thought I posted a picture of my new rebuilt turbo. It was not. I guess I don't have a picture of it but I'll try to snap one when i get home. I have the new cam about ready to go in though. Making gaskets and putting the head back in this weekend.

Last edited by adub96; 08-19-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:25 PM

That's the 1st coupe I have EVER seen in Florida!!! lucky you.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks, they're around. I know of a few of them in the area mine is the only one I've seen running though.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:39 PM

I would love to get a hold of one, even if it's not running! Maybe bring it back to life. 90% of the ones I see here in Orlando are the sedans and the rest are coupes...

Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM

there is one in Jacksonville in Al's Volvo's yard. Its a turbo coupe, not running, just sitting there, baby blue i think . Can call and ask him what he has thats what I did, he had this car sitting in the back of his garage turned sideways so he could still pull cars in 2 cars deep.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 PM

I don't have the intake hooked up or any of the exhaust side on, but i fired it up and it ran on all cylinders for like a whole 3 seconds. Tomorrow i will put the exhaust side on and plumb the intake.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Motor is starting to go back together. I'll be ordering wires from http://www.cravingboost.com/ sometime soon and some products from these guys too. http://www.yoshifab.com/

Last edited by adub96; 08-23-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Coming along very nicely. I hate messing with the injector lines!!! Most of the time they love to break.