1995 945T electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 945T electrical issue VR? Alternator?

Hi,

Winter in Canada. -15 degrees.
The last week or so the electrical components in my car would occasionally surge. Most obvious was the heater fan. So it continued to get more consistent so I checked the alternator belt as thought it was a bit slack. I ran the car with a volt meter across the battery and saw it surge at idle to around 14v then back to 13. I don't have a digital readout so I'm estimating on the needle swinging.
So, I tightened the alternator belt.

I finished and checked the codes (yeah, I know, should have done that first). As I was checking the codes I heard a small, single click, like a relay somewhere in the engine bay. It was dark and cold so I stopped. Next morning, I went out and all codes were 1-1-1.

I get in for a test drive and five of the warning lights are faintly lit up after the car is running. The engine service light, the battery light, the park brake, the srs (airbag), and the bulb failure light. So, I go for a drive around the block and turn on the heater fan and the faint warning lights go out. Then come back on. They come and go independent of running anything. However, the surging current seems to have abated as the heater fan does not surge as before.

So, I'm concerned but not too stressed. I drive the car for a few days. Then last night I'm driving into my girlfriend's place using the autoroute for about a 20 km drive. About 5-6 minutes in I notice the ABS light comes on full. Then a few moments later I look down and my dash board lights are out. My speedo isn't working. My car is losing power. I hobble to a side exit ramp and roll to a stop. It's night and I have merging traffic in light snow roaring by me. Nothing works, no flashers, but the car is still running. So I grab my phone and wait for the car to die. I figure the alternator is finished. I begin calling the tow truck when the dashboard lights up again, the flashers come on and I can rev the car. Thinking I can hobble off the exit ramp and change a $300 tow for a $75 one I roll off the autoroute. I drive through town for about 10 minutes and arrive intact (the dimly light warning lights still coming and going.

This morning I go out and run codes and get a 1-3-2.

So, VR? Alternator? both? Something else?

As always, any similar experiences with a solution are most appreciated.

Roy

Last edited by Roy Cross; 01-07-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:51 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

dimmly glowing dashboard indicator lights are often an indication of a marginal ground somewhere.

erratic charging voltages are often a sign of marginal alternator cabling (ground or B+), OR worn brushes (which are part of the VR assembly).

Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Pierce.

I left the dome light on this morning and drained the battery. I gave it a boost tonight but it won't run for more than 30 seconds after removing the jumper cables. I suspect I jostled something when I was loosening the bolts to adjust the belt tension as this is when the faint warning lights appeared. I sure don't like it when I fix one thing only to somehow create something else.

My timing sucks as the temperature has dropped to -25 Celsius and the parking spot I have is outside. I'll take a look in the daylight and see the ground connection. Of course my voltmeter and my battery charger are tucked away at home in my heated garage. :-)

Thanks again, Pierce.