My 90 740 347V8 Stroker Mods - Page 2 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Default V8 conversions

Years ago there used to be a fair number of people who replaced the PRV 2.8 V-6 fitted to the 760s with a Ford 302, to the point there was some kind of conversion kit available, I seem to recall from Rhode Island?

That 740 V8 and all those mods...extremely impressive...not seen one like it in the UK, although some people here manage to extract amazing outputs from the redblock and turbo.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Converse Engineering in Maine, USA still offers a conversion kit for the Ford 5.0. The red block motor is extremely stout and with a turbo can make 300 hp relatively easily and 400+ is certainly possible. I did that too w/ my 245...
Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM

There's no doubt that the redblock suitably modded is nice in a Volvo, but so are the V8's.
The problem I have with the redblock when hopped up to 300+hp is it's driveability, it still completely lacks torque off boost. It's just a simple lack of torque to the car's weight. What a redblock REALLY needs is a sequential turbo setup. I think there is enough room to do it.
If the redblock ever dies in my 740, I am seriously considering dropping in a Mitsubishi 6G74 engine. Very cheap, very broad torque curve and would be good power to weight (210hp/155Kw)for the Volvo, whilst still retaining some sort of fuel economy.
Of course, the V8 sound is nice, always very nice.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Nice work

I too like building things that aren't quite normal , I am a Ford fan , and now have a volvo because of the family.Soon as I have a garage I'm thinking my 740 wagon just might be getting a new powerplant....
Old 06-18-2011, 01:57 AM

where those a set of MGRs i seen on the white one?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yup...Voxx MGR's. Sold them a few months ago to a fellow in Alabama. I loved 'em but not the additional price of the 17" tires. I'm making a "sea change" and slowly going back to all 15" rims. I might hang on to the 16" Hydras...but nothing bigger.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:15 AM

Wish I had the time and money for that kind of project. Very slick looking car.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

LOL. I wish I had the money I put into it! I can tell you from experience, buy a completed one from someone else. Much cheaper! I could pull the motor and get as much for it as for the complete car. As a consequence, if I decide to ditch it, I'll probably dismantle it and part it. If you're bored, start adding up the price of some of the parts I listed on page one. It's a great car and super reliable. It's been on the road now for over 4 years. Regular oil and filter changes, swapped out the plugs and wires, cap and rotor (totally unnecessary) and that's it. Lots of fun!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 AM

I'm curious how you made the emissions work... just transfer the entire Ford hardware setup, control box and wiring to the Volvo? Or was there a special kit? In Colorado, we have gone to a very restricted state-run test system. Dyno test everything after 1980. I'd be unsure how they would view your conversion (but I'd love it in my 740 Wagon!).
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Former Moderator

he's in Texas. What emissions?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I'm in Texas. Dallas County, where emissions are nearly as strict as California. All 96+ cars (OBD II) must have their emissions systems intact and working. Cars 25+ years of age and older require safety only inspections. Cars falling in the middle (currently 88 -95) have to run on the dyno. The car is a 90 Volvo 740, the donor was a 90 Mustang 5.0. The car passes as easily as any Fox body 5.0 will. The car has dual cats, dual O2 sensors and a very conservative cam, an FPR E303. It costs me a bit of horsepower but helps with emissions. As the 90 Mustang version of the 5.0 had thermactors, I had the exhaust shop mock up heat risers to the heads...but as the heads are off of a later model 5.0 Explorer w/o thermactors, they are merely dummies for the inspector. The thermactor system only comes into effect when the engine is cold started so really isn't an issue. The car has passed emissions legally for 5 years now..two more years and it will drop off of emissions and only need safety inspections. That's when I can swap cams, heads and the intake, etc. if the notion struck me. The engine could easily make another 150 horsepower that way but would affect the driveability. As is...it's a great road car.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM

What wheels are those? They look really good on the 740.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Voxx MGR's. They stopped building them 7 or 8 years ago. I've sold them and am running Hydras these days.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM

I have a 740 wagon with a 95 mustang 5.0 and would be intrested in learning more about your exhaust work. Also being somewhat new to these motors what helps to mildly wake up a stock motor? smog pump is already bypassed, has BBK long tubes.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Former Moderator

you mean, a dead stock 5.0 doesn't already have enough torque to rip the rear end right out from under the 740??!? I'm surprised.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:21 PM

im sure it would if it was beat on with consistancy however I wont be doint that. The exhaust I just want to free up and get a better sound
Old 05-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Former Moderator

ugh, not a fan of loud engines.

that said, the mustang guys have all kinda "performance" exhaust kits, where 'performance' is defined as 'louder'. obviously, you'll need to adapt with some custom pipe fab and mounting brackets, but dual pipes the same size as the header output ports, with pre-mufflers ('resonators') and main mufflers should do what you want.

I'm sure swift will kick in here with some more useful info. doesn't he list what he used on his build? (of course, he has a fair amount of fancy stuff on his motor, stroked, bored, aftermarket heads, cams, etc).
Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Volvo stock 1041L rear ends are good to roughly 400hp. Unless you specifically alter the rear suspension to get it to "hook up" better, there won't be an issue. Unless you're drag racing, it's fine. The rear sub frame/swing arm will indeed torque on its axis if it hooks up too hard, so boxing it in after re-welding the inevitable broken welds is a must. Every subframe I've seen in the last 5-8 years has had some degree of failed/failing welds.

Mild mods on a 5.0? As Pierce alluded, I got a bit carried away but simple things like a hotter coil, fatter wires, porting the intake and gasket matching are cheap and easy. Bigger injectors, bigger MAF and TB, upgrading to a higher volume fuel pump.
My exhaust? Really nothing too special. I used "P" heads off an Explorer, milled to get the compression up and o-ringed for NO2. The plugs are angled differently and normal shorty headers block the plugs so I was able to score a P specific set of headers. Keep in mind, this car hit the streets in June of '07...some of these parts have disappeared from the market while others are more plentiful. I used an X pipe because my personal opinion is H pipes are worthless. The cats I got off eBay and are still running strong. My pics show Spin-Tech Pro Street mufflers and glass packs as resonators but I ended up ditching the Spin Techs as I was drawing too much unwanted attention. I currently run short glass packs instead of the Spin-Techs and another short set as resonators. Much quieter...at least to 5k. After that, my wife doesn't need to be in the car. The exhaust work itself is every day crush bent pipe done by a local shop, 2 1/2". I had to watch them like a hawk as muffler shops like to measure clearance from the ground to the pipe, whereas I like to ignore the ground and keep the pipe as absolutely close to the floor pan as possible w/o stuff melting. Makes for a cleaner install IMO.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:57 PM

you may have already said(or they may not be available anymore), but where did you get the headers from? I have GT-40p heads on my truck & hate the stock maifolds..
Old 09-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

I bought them from Dennis Hilliard, formerly operator of Central Coast Mustangs. When he went out of business, he left a lot of folks hanging....but luckily I wasn't one of 'em. He sold the last of his inventory on eBay where I scored mine. They are Mac shorty headers and are GT-40P specific. Here's a link to the Mac catalog where they are listed in ceramic coated. Might be in the catalog elsewhere painted for a bit less.
MAC Ford Mustang 5.0L 1979-1993 Unequal Chrome ShortTube Headers