New Alternator, Car Not Charging.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alternator, Car Not Charging.

Hey there,

I got my new alternator and put it in my car. It is a 70 amp Bosch if that helps. I jump started the car with a jumper box. It runs fine until you disconnect/turn off the jumper box, just like it did before, that is why I bought an alternator. With the jumper box connected and turned on, I turned the key turn the car on and the AMP light doesn't/never lights up. It seems like there might be bad connection coming from the alternator to wherever it goes. Does anyone know what might be the problem and have suggestions.

If the battery is shot and dead, should the car be doing this? (Stalling that is) I thought the car runs off the alternator once it is started.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Please help me out.

My car is a 1980 Volvo 240 GL Sedan if it makes anything easier.

Thanks everyone,
Melvin.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the alternator to charge, you have to have battery voltage on the small red wire, on the alternator, with the key on.

And measure the battery voltage during idle.

Attached Thumbnails New Alternator, Car Not Charging.-charging_system2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Red face

I had the same problem. I installed a new alt & battery which worked fine for about a month or so.

Last night I stopped at the local gas station & when going out to start the car, CLICK, not enough CCA's to start.

With the new alt in I was reading over 14v, what is yours showing?

All of the cables look good, but I do not have time to check them with a meter. Did you do this?

A dead cell in the battery will create problems charging & holding a charge.

I'll presume that the battery connections are clean......

Keep us posted.

I recall in one of my books how to check the system (primitively) by using the headlights.

I am sure someone will chime in on this.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM

My old Alternator was showing about 11 at most and all the connections were fine. I am starting to think that it wasn't the alternator, but a wire from the alternator is preventing the battery from staying charged and causing it not to work correctly. My new Alternator is probably over 14v, but I haven't checked yet.

I need to figure out all the wiring to see if there are problems.

The AMP light doesn't come on ever and so it seems to me it has to be a wire since not only does it not come on, but the battery doesn't start the car without jumpers but I believe it is fairly new. So it must not be being charged.

I am going to take a look today or tomorrow and keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM

If your alternator was only putting out 11 volts then chances are (95% chance) it was not good. A healthy alternator should provide 12.6 - 13.5 or higher with all possible drains on the electrical system while the car is running (barring a 2000watt ear bleeding sound system)
You did the right thing by replacing the alternator. Have you tested the battery at your local parts store? I wouldn't do anything else until you rule out the battery as the next culprit. Sometimes when the alternator goes it wears out the battery or vice verse. Go get that battery tested and report back.
Originally Posted by Melvin Lindbergh
My old Alternator was showing about 11 at most and all the connections were fine. I am starting to think that it wasn't the alternator, but a wire from the alternator is preventing the battery from staying charged and causing it not to work correctly. My new Alternator is probably over 14v, but I haven't checked yet.

I need to figure out all the wiring to see if there are problems.

The AMP light doesn't come on ever and so it seems to me it has to be a wire since not only does it not come on, but the battery doesn't start the car without jumpers but I believe it is fairly new. So it must not be being charged.

I am going to take a look today or tomorrow and keep you posted.

Thanks for your help.