NEW guy!!! 1976 Vovlo 242!!!! Drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW guy!!! 1976 Vovlo 242!!!! Drivetrain?

i just picked up a freaking SWEET 1976 Volvo 242!!! I love this car, i saw it and had to have it, although is project #3 for me. Its lime green with chrome 3 point rims, both are which are the first things to go lol. Satin black on gold im thinking, but also may go gloss red on gunmetal or gold, GM Cyber Gray met on silver rims, or Gloss Black on gold or gunmetal.

ANYWAY, What do you guys recomend for engine swaps? I originally wanted to put a Hinda f20c full swap engine tranny rear end, but that **** is expensive. Then i was thinking a full s52 (m3 engine) tranny rear end etc etc. But what i REALLY want is a newer T5 and keep it in the family especially since this is my first Volvo. What fun would it be to own my first Volvo and not even have a Volvo engine?but i think since all modern volvos are fwd, i think it would be a pin in the ***. So i was wondering, since this esentially is going to be a DD, what is a nice straight forward simple swap something that basically will bolt in? I would like around 250-300 HP i dont need anything more in this little Sweed. Is there a factory turbo engine from a later model rwd 200 series car that will drop in, and bolt up to the tranny? Give me some direction guys, keep in mind my goal is lets say 275 reliable daily drivable horsepower, and since its a 76 i do have to smog it, and im in California.

BTW i have had 2 Trans Ams, and a WS6, and 2 Z06's. Trust me, as much as anyone else, i just absolutely love the LTX LSX engines, but i'm looking for something different here. Something light with a unique Tuner flare. My current BMW is a 540i s speed almost every car i have ever owned has been a v8 6 speed lol.

Other than that. i am open to ALL suggestions and ideas, and would love some inspiration VIA pics and videos. I am GIDDY about this car and cant wait to pick it up and get started!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted to put an twin turbo six from an s60 into a rwd Volvo. That engine started without the turbos in the 900 series as a rwd car. I don't really know what I'm talking about. If you like custom engine builds, you can get those 4 bangers up in that range. It will take some work. Bore, stroke, new rods new turbo, new engine management and a 16 valve head. I can't vouch for reliability. Fords's 5.0 has been a common swap. One person shoved a Ford 4.6L with the DOHC under one of those hoods. The turbo 5 found in 850 has been made to fit. The easiest would be reworking a redblock four, but really there are lots of options depending on what you want and what type of funding you have for it.

Sounds like fun. I like that you think those wheels and that color have to go. Post some pics. My brother and I almost got a 76 242 with plans for a turbo 4, so I'd like to see this one.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM

So far im thinking a turbo 5 from a 94+ 850, and an m90 transmission. I REALLY want to keep it a Volvo engine. I was considering rebuilding the engine thats in it, but i dont think its turbo and i have to smog it in California (i haven't picked it up yet or even looked at it but its clean and freaking cheap). In other words to use a Turbo i need a factory Turbo engine.

Budget wise i dont want to spend more than $2000-$2500.

A Ford 5.0 is an ok engine, but like i said, i want to keep this build a little lighter considering ive had so many 8 cylinders. If im going out of the Volvo family, it will be an F20c (s2000 engine) or an M3 engine.

Ill post plenty of pics as soon as i get it. Its hella clean it has clear side markers, clean paint but its ugly, at least it'll make for a good base instead of lots of fix-it work. Shiny chrome trim, a nice chin spoiler.

it only has 120,000 miles it has been taken care of. I guess theyre having trouble with the timing and its not running that great, but what do i care? im either ripping it out or rebuilding it with forged low compression internals and a new turbo. But i really want a 5 cylinder.

Last edited by FilthyScandinavian; 03-29-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not saying you should go sbf, but the 5.0 w/ iron heads weighs roughly 50 pounds more than the original engine. Go aluminum heads and the sbf weighs less than the redblock. Sounds like you've already done your research...good luck finding an M90 transmission. To the best of my knowledge they didn't bring them stateside. A 93-94 turbo L block from a 940T will easily hit 250 whp...just a little bit of tweaking and you'll have 300 hp. Larger NPR intercooler, bigger turbo, larger injectors, aggressive cam, chip the ecu and icu and you're there. Realistically, the strongest, easily swapped transmission is the T5 swap. Adapter plates are now readily available. Whether you choose a turbo, V8 or later Volvo 5 or 6 cylinder swap...the ground work has already been laid and documented. You won't have to re-invent the wheel...plenty of folks have already done it pretty much any way you choose to go.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 AM

i was doing more research and i found out the m90 wasnt brought here, as stated above. I read all about the Tremec T5 and it just so happens that my first ever car, a 94 Firebird V6, received a brand spanking new T5 right before it died, and its just sitting outside where it has been sitting for 4 years. SO it looks like i have my Transmission, and i found the Website that sells bellhousing adaptor plates and pitch fork adaptors etc etc so it looks like im getting out of that one cheap! Maybe $300 TOTAL!!!!

So to get the Engine i want (94 850 turbo 5) in my car, what do i have to do? Will it bolt in? It will bolt up to my tranny now thanks to the adaptor plates and from what i've read the drive shaft will still work as well. GOD i dread the elctrical and getting down to all the details i will probably just pay someone to do all that it gets over my head im affraid. Or it seems like it, if i had enough help id try it myself.