Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job

My cousin sold me my volvo last year, and didnt tell me that she had the car painted. She also didnt tell me that the paint shop didnt add a 'clear coat' to the car, for which reason Im not sure, something to do with the car having been in a wreak at some point. She was suppost to go back and have them put it on, but instead she just sold the car to me. So anyway, the paint is fading, pretty bad, especially on the roof and hood.

So I want to get the car repainted, if I have to, I would like to change the cars color from blue to black. But I have some questions.

1. People tell me that I shouldn't get a cheap paint job, like Maaco, or whatever. Why?

2. How cheap can I get a paint job for? Where should I go?

3. The interior spray paint stuff (like to paint plastic parts from blue to black) does that stuff work?

Thanks again

Old 06-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Paint Job

Is blue the original color? If so it will cost quite a bit more to get it painted a different color because you should have inside the doors, hood, trunk etc etc painted the new color. Most advise to never change the orginal color of the car because then the paint code does not match what's on the car. I've done it in the past and wished I hadn't after the fact. As far as cheap paint jobs, you get what you pay for. If the car is just a beater that you are trying get looking half decent go cheap, but if you are really trying to get the car to look great you will have to pay for it.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree you get what you pay for.
I am in the same delima at the moment with my Mustang it has 3 layers of silver over the factory red.
It all has to be stripped then repainted.Mine is gonna cost me atleast $3000.00 to get a decent paint job.
The trim stuff works pretty good as long as you buy the paint made for the plastic and clean the parts really good.
I have to do that as well with my mustang.Changing from Red/Black to Blue/Black.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Alexander

My cousin sold me my volvo last year, and didnt tell me that she had the car painted. She also didnt tell me that the paint shop didnt add a 'clear coat' to the car, for which reason Im not sure, something to do with the car having been in a wreak at some point. She was suppost to go back and have them put it on, but instead she just sold the car to me. So anyway, the paint is fading, pretty bad, especially on the roof and hood.

So I want to get the car repainted, if I have to, I would like to change the cars color from blue to black. But I have some questions.

1. People tell me that I shouldn't get a cheap paint job, like Maaco, or whatever. Why?

2. How cheap can I get a paint job for? Where should I go?

3. The interior spray paint stuff (like to paint plastic parts from blue to black) does that stuff work?
Depending on how badly the paint is fading, why not just go to your cousin's painter and ask them to finish the job (clear coat)? Might be the most cost-effective method.

As noted, a color change will be much more expensive than a cheap paint job. There is much more work involved than a respray of the original color.

As for your specific questions:

1. A cheap paint job will not be as smooth as a more expensive job. It's all in the prep work, and that takes time. After painting, more time is spent on finish sanding by the good shops.

2. Places like Maaco will paint your car for $300 to $500 dollars. Especially during the late winter, they seem to run sales. But again, prep work is extra. That's more money.

That doesn't mean you can't get a decent job at a Maaco. When shopping for a painter, look at the cars they have completed. Look for waves in the metal, rough paint (orange-peel), and evidence of excess filler. Look around windshields and door handles for evidence of poor masking.

3. Interior paint can work well, again the care spent in prep is the key. Even "painting" vinyl seats can work for a long time.

Tech's $3k tab for painting his Mustang is a good value. It would be rather easy to spend double that on a really comprehensive paint job.

Of course, selfishly speaking, I think he should just buy the pristine 5.0 LX I am selling, no paintwork needed!!!![sm=goodidea.gif]

Cheers

Old 06-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Carbuff

Tech's $3k tab for painting his Mustang is a good value. It would be rather easy to spend double that on a really comprehensive paint job.

Of course, selfishly speaking, I think he should just buy the pristine 5.0 LX I am selling, no paintwork needed!!!![sm=goodidea.gif]

Cheers

I wish I could afford it and I would.Im having trouble even putting gas in mine at the moment till I get back to work.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM
reg

Tech, if you could get a colour change and quality for $3000.00 auto collectors such as myself would line up!!!! I have paid many times over the $3,000.00 for a colour change. To do it correctly, the glass, rubber, suspension, interior...............yes...the dash and floor pan have to be painted, the head liner has to be removed.................it is an expensive ordeal!!! If you have a restorer who will do all that for $3,000.00...................GET THE PRICE LOCKED IN NOW!!!!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Im trying but lacking the big $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
reg

When I first began collecting autos, I saved a lot of money by preparing the auto for paint. I removed all the chrome, rubber, interior, fenders...............indeed, everything that I was able to remove and still have the auto towed (years ago there were no flat bed 'wreckers') to the paint shop. So when you are ready, I would suggest that you do all of this yourself. The end result will make you more of a part of your restoration project................especially since you have already done the engine.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: reg

When I first began collecting autos, I saved a lot of money by preparing the auto for paint. I removed all the chrome, rubber, interior, fenders...............indeed, everything that I was able to remove and still have the auto towed (years ago there were no flat bed 'wreckers') to the paint shop. So when you are ready, I would suggest that you do all of this yourself. The end result will make you more of a part of your restoration project................especially since you have already done the engine.
Ha. I was even cheaper when "restoring" cars for my high school drivers. I would drive the stripped (no bumpers etc) cars to the paint shop (yes Maaco) then pull the rest of the stuff off (tail-lights, handles) before painting.

Getting back to Alexander, though...

If the faded paint is not worn, you could do some of the prep yourself by wet-sanding it. Just be careful of any edges where you could go through the color coat.

I still think this is the most cost effective way to go, even though you won't get the color of your dreams. [&:]

Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 PM

How do you wet-sand a car?

The color is coming off as we speak, and i dont think the sunny weather is helping either.

Basically I tried washing my car last month, by the end of the job, the rag I used had blue paint all over it.

Thanks for all the advice ive received so far!

Anymore would be great

Old 06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Your paint is coming off from washing your car? That's not right. I don't think I would be trying to wet-sand that car. I would find out where your cousin got it painted and take it back to them with the rag with the blue paint.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:58 PM

I thought the paint was comming off because it had no 'clear-coat', or whatever.

I dont even understand why they didnt put the coat on. My mom told me, who talked to my cousin, and she said something about how they the painters didnt know that the car had been rear ended, so they needed her to come back later.

I hate my cousin, the car had enough things wrong with it in the first place, it didnt need a paint job.[:@]

So now what....

Old 06-30-2005, 08:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Alexander

I thought the paint was comming off because it had no 'clear-coat', or whatever.

I dont even understand why they didnt put the coat on. My mom told me, who talked to my cousin, and she said something about how they the painters didnt know that the car had been rear ended, so they needed her to come back later.

I hate my cousin, the car had enough things wrong with it in the first place, it didnt need a paint job.[:@]

So now what....
How can you hate your cousin, after all she sold you a VOLVO.

I'm not a true expert on paint. I HAVE used two-step paints (color + clear).

It's my understanding that the clear coat protects the soft color coat, and if so, what you are seeing (color coming off just from washing) may not be out of line.

So either talk to a body shop and see what they recommend (show them the car), or find an autobody supply house (auto paint supplier) and talk to the countermen there. I learned a LOT from the paint supply house when I was learning to paint cars.

I suspect you are correct, it just needs clear coat. Is your cousin's autobody shop not close to you?

Good Luck