Problems with "new" '93 240 Sedan I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with "new" '93 240 Sedan I just bought

I just bought a '93 240 Volvo sedan the other day.

The car is in excellent condition in terms of the body and interior but there are several things things that don't work including:

Fuel gauge - upon putting in gas when we bought the car, fuel gauge didn't raise. Definitely no like!

Odometer - when I bought the car, the paperwork/receipts for past work done came with it but only for records up to 2011 and the odometer on those also shows the same mileage! So it's been a few years since something happened to odometer and it stopped working as a result. It's a '93 so pretty sure 22167 is not right mileage for this 240 in 2016, lol.

Windshield washer fluid - Is full but nothing sprays out when wipers move. Under the hood, there is one wire/plug coming from the washer fluid tank that is disconnected. I'll try to attach an image I took of it later on. Hope it's just a matter of clogging.

No headlights - Only parking and bright lights work

Would like to try and find the code for anti-theft, if it even works

Possible alternator belt issue - If there is in fact a problem with the alternator belt, it's not a matter of a little squeaking on cold start. The car was already warmed up when it started squeaking very loudly and would not stop until I pulled over. It seems that it started up to begin with upon accelerating too rapidly but not completely sure of this.

Lastly, the car makes a faint, tinny, vibrating sound during drive. Sort of sounds like a weaker version of what a lot of trucks sound like, if that makes any sense. I'm concerned because an older car I once had made a similar, louder version of this noise, progressively getting worse before the head gasket eventually blew.

When idling, the car sounds a little like engine is snoring or ocean waves coming in to and away from shore. So, for example, car gets quiet and then louder and then quiet again, and keeps doing this over and over.

There are some more things but they are of lesser importance so I will save them for later.

If anyone has any insight or advice on any of the issues my "new" Volvo is having, I would appreciate it. I really hope at least some if not all issues are not going to cost too much to repair.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:22 PM

Well, I guess I wrote too much, lol

But just to update, had someone take a look and they suggested that the squeaky noise is prossibky the alternator. We think the battery is weak too.

Does anyone know if you can safely interchange batteries between different makes and models of cars? We have a decent battery from another vehicle that we might be able to use if it is ok to do so.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:28 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Volvo batteries are size 47 or 48, they can interchange with a few other makes but not many...

Gas gauge: probably the tank sender unit.
Odo: weak in 240s, probably a bad gear, Dave Barton has good info, sells parts. May have a lot of miles.
Head Gasket "noise": no such thing, they fail silently.
Alt belt: change it, cheap and easy. Test that it puts out about 14v.
Windshield washer: check the hoses, filter, etc. May need new pump.
"Snoring"?: No idea, radio static?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

re: snoring, do you mean the idle RPM is going up/down/up/down? could be a gummed up 'idle air controller'. these can be cleaned with some throttle body cleaner/spray, they rarely need replacement. if you remove it, make sure the hoses to it are in good shape, if they are cracked, they should be replaced, as any air leaks in the intake air path between the mass air flow sensor and the engine itself drives the EFI system nuts.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:56 PM

Someone suggested the chirping is a belt making noise from steering fluid leak but can't determine that there is a leak, fluid was low though...we added stop leak steering fluid

We cleaned out air filter and the snoring/roaring rpm in and out noise pretty much stopped.

Actually, just today, flipped the AC switch by accident while driving and the sound came back right away. As soon as I flipped off the switch, noise stopped. So maybe it has to do with that. AC doesn't work, btw. Maybe it's trying to??

Last edited by AridianSea; 11-20-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:00 AM

Another question: is the water pump what the washer fluid is relying on to spray out? Or in other words, is the water pump the same thing as a washer pump?

(We have tested it and it's bad and needs replacement)

Last edited by AridianSea; 11-21-2016 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Clarifying my question
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 AM
no mo volvo

the washer has its own small electric pump in the bottom of the washer bottle.

'water pump' usually refers to the main engine water pump used to pump coolant (water+antifreeze) through the engine block and radiator.

if your AC isn't working, you should disconnect the AC compressor control wire to prevent it from being run accidentally as it can do more damage to itself, and even potentially eat the AC belt which is shared by the power steering on many cars (varies by year/model as to what accessories are on which belt).

Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Since I last posted, found out we had cracked engine mounts and the oil filter was the only thing holding up the engine!

We had them replaced but expected a lot less turbulence and bumping/bouncy feeling while driving after that fix. But there was little to no difference.

So we figure now it must be the tires - which def need upgrading - and alignment

The mechanic who fixed our mounts up said the chirping noise when AC switch is flipped will stop after we replace the belt and bushings. Another Volvo 240 owner we know said he thinks it's just the compressor though.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 PM

I need help with my volvo. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do a new post/thread or how do I post a new question

Old 12-18-2016, 10:21 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by Volvoxc90s80
I need help with my volvo. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do a new post/thread or how do I post a new question
presuming you have an S80, you'd go tot he S80 forum, Volvo S80 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum and click 'new thread'...

type in an appropriate subject, and write your question. be sure to specify the year/model vehicle and any options that might be pertinent to your question. also a good idea to mention what part of the world you're in, as cars in europe or asia often have different options and features than USA models.