moving a stuck power driver's seat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving a stuck power driver's seat?

I just purchased a 940 and the driver seat power box is shot (No action or clicking at all). The fuse is good and the wires have power running to them (Don't ask....but I know for a fact....Ouch) Is there anyway to move this seat manually? I am the only one driving it, so I don't need to move it all the time but the current position is VERY close to the steering wheel.
I need to slide it back and recline the seat a little as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, make sure your stop button hasn't been pressed in and is stuck down, and check if the the fuse is good. Then if all that fails. In the tool kit of the vehicles with power seats should be a tool that can be used to manipulate the seat gears it is basically a speed socket wrench that is small and flexible, there should be a place to use it to move the seat back and i think the seat bottom forward and reverse.... insert it into the tube under the seat and turn you should get movement. The tube under the seat looks almost like a clutch cable. I think you can use a screw driver to turn it also.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM

I know the stop button isn't pressed/stuck and the fuse is good (put another new one in just to make sure). I don't have the tool you are talking about but I will see if I have something that will work. I just have to find the spot you are talking about.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by adub96
First, make sure your stop button hasn't been pressed in and is stuck down, and check if the the fuse is good. Then if all that fails. In the tool kit of the vehicles with power seats should be a tool that can be used to manipulate the seat gears it is basically a speed socket wrench that is small and flexible, there should be a place to use it to move the seat back and i think the seat bottom forward and reverse.... insert it into the tube under the seat and turn you should get movement. The tube under the seat looks almost like a clutch cable. I think you can use a screw driver to turn it also.
Are you sure this is a Volvo 940 you are talking about? I have never seen such a tool OR the tube to stick it in... I'd love to know how to move a stuck (inoperable electrically) 940 power seat but I don't think this is the way...

Old 04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tedv
Are you sure this is a Volvo 940 you are talking about? I have never seen such a tool OR the tube to stick it in... I'd love to know how to move a stuck (inoperable electrically) 940 power seat but I don't think this is the way...

At least til 94 or 95 they had those. The problem is the controller, you can pull it apart and clean all the connections then put it back together and it will probably move. If you don't want to do that, you can get a spare battery look under the seat and find the motor that moves the seat front and back. (I do not believe those seats had two motors) then hook the black wire to the negative on the battery. And the other two wires, one moves forward, the other moves backwards, hook that to the positive.