Rear shocks replacement, recommendations on shocks?

Old 12-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shocks replacement, recommendations on shocks?

I have a 80 240 4 door. The rear shocks have been replaced with shocks from the local auto store (cheap) and the car rides like a buck board (really rough). Anyone recommend some good replacement shocks so that I can get that smooth ride back? Adjustable shocks? IPD USA has bilstein and boge shocks, are these good shocks? IPD says that the boge are original equipment shocks. Just trying to get my smooth ride back.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Rear shocks replacement, recommendations on shocks?

ORIGINAL: parrym

I have a 80 240 4 door. The rear shocks have been replaced with shocks from the local auto store (cheap) and the car rides like a buck board (really rough). Anyone recommend some good replacement shocks so that I can get that smooth ride back? Adjustable shocks? IPD USA has bilstein and boge shocks, are these good shocks? IPD says that the boge are original equipment shocks. Just trying to get my smooth ride back.

Thanks
In case you are still around (after 2 years), I had exactly the same experience. Despite the same shocks working well on another vehicle of mine. The replacement shocks are actually worse than the shot-shocks I had on the vehicle.

I think an adjustable gas shock is in order.. Tokico if they make them.. don't know. Did you find a good choice? Or anyone?

Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 AM

I just picked up some KYB's that I'll be installing this Friday along with replacing all of the rear end bushings. I'll report back as to how they ride if you want to know.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: JetTech

I just picked up some KYB's that I'll be installing this Friday along with replacing all of the rear end bushings. I'll report back as to how they ride if you want to know.
Any info would be of interest. Thanks. At this point, I'm ready to go OEM if necessary.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM

I bought the front and rear set of KYB's off ebay for around $130. We'll see if they are worth it or not. I won't be installing the fronts for another 2 weeks because once I get the rear bushings and shocks replaced, the front end is my next project. I haven't ordered any bushings, of which all of them need replacementincluding the upper strut mountsyet, but will probably next Monday. What I'm getting at is it might ride like crap with all new bushings and shocks in the rear and the front end still in dire need of attention. We'll see though and I'll be sure to report back on this thread.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:52 AM

I can't remember where I got my replacement shocks, I think it was from https://www.autohausaz.com I also shop at http://www.ipdusa.com/ Look for original replacement shocks. The shocks you get at the local auto parts store are too stiff.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spent a small fortune renewingall of my 93/240suspension.this included every single bush on the car as well as front and rear springs,ball joints,inner track rod,wheel bearings ect. fitted kyb gas shocks to front and monroe gas to rear. new top strut mounts lasted about 500 miles,replaced them with the original old
mounts which were pretty good anyway,car rides really well but does tend to sit a little higher at the front. so kyb and monroe gas shocks work well together in my opinion. keento hear what brands work for you guys. i live in northern ireland and bought everything from euro car parts.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: fivespeed

i spent a small fortune renewingall of my 93/240suspension.this included every single bush on the car as well as front and rear springs,ball joints,inner track rod,wheel bearings ect. fitted kyb gas shocks to front and monroe gas to rear. new top strut mounts lasted about 500 miles,replaced them with the original old
mounts which were pretty good anyway,car rides really well but does tend to sit a little higher at the front. so kyb and monroe gas shocks work well together in my opinion. keento hear what brands work for you guys. i live in northern ireland and bought everything from euro car parts.
Were the Monroes you used in the rear Sensatrac, or a higher priced Monroe?

Also, note that my rear sits lower than it did, just as you describe, and there is no pressure on the shock, meaning I can remove the bottom bolt without changing load on the suspension. These were/are the correct shock according to Monroe. I have used the same shock type, Monroe sensatrac, on the front of my truck with excellent results. I think this is a mismatch on the the 760 GLE.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM

hi richard.monroe sensatrac on rear. you couldwell have a mismatcheven though they are recommended. have you considered bilstien heavy duty mono gas shocks for your cars rear . look up their website for more infor.cheers.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Have been "thinking" about the replacment choice, thanks. I think the ideal would be a gas adjustable like Tokico.. or Bilstein. One can spend a lot on shocks..

Otoh, a lot of people here suggest OEM is the best choice.

What has been your experience?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Installed the KYB's on the rear of my 240 last Friday along with replacing the bushings and all I can say is WOW!! The rear feels much more planted and stable then before. Of course the original shocks were on the car so probably anything would have made a huge difference but now I can't wait to install the KYB's on the front now. I've got to order the bushings for the front today and will probably install them within the next few weeks.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 PM

well richard, ithink that as long as you stick with a proven brand then anything goes in my opinion. i also think it worth while to mention that some shock swap oversrequire the use of spacers, make sure that this is not the cause of your problem. make sure they were not required with your current set up. keep us informed off how things work out.bye.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: fivespeed

well richard, ithink that as long as you stick with a proven brand then anything goes in my opinion. i also think it worth while to mention that some shock swap oversrequire the use of spacers, make sure that this is not the cause of your problem. make sure they were not required with your current set up. keep us informed off how things work out.bye.
Thanks for your input... JetTech likes his KYB's, but I also liked the comments on the Bilsteins on IPD's site. I think I'll try them next... then as a last resort... add the springs they recommend. Their prices were good compared to every other source I could find.

Not sure what you are meaning with respect to spacers (rear shocks I'm talking about here).I know you need a conversion kit to go from the Nivomat if you had them, which I did not.

Thanks again for the info.

Btw, I just wrung the '84 out on a 510 mile trip to Las Vegas (wife likes to gamble). Diesel was $2.95 as opposed to $3.39 for regular unleaded. Ran at 80mph both ways... at 38mpg. No problems. Looks like the vehicle deserves a belt change... which is a big deal in price and in terms of risk on these vehicles. I say "deserves" because I was so unsure of the thing (even though it has been running well) because of all the negative comments about the VW truck engine, that I was pondering putting any more money in. But I am going to do it. I like the thing.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:15 AM

just replaced the rear shock on the 79 244. KYB GR-2's are a nice ride. also out the overlaod springs on. not sure if KYB's are OEM replacement but they'll work and not too expensive.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Tell you what I'm thinking now. I think the previous owner replaced a Nivomat rear suspension shock with a standard shock. This is why I thought it needed new shocks, as clearly the rear end wasn't performing correctly. So I replaced them with another set of new shocks. Which actually work worse.

The kit for replacing a Nivomat suspension includes new springs. I think the Nivomat type suspension comes with a weaker spring set, as the Nivomat shock is "active".

The kit must, therefore include a stronger spring set. And that is what is wrong. I have a standard shock with a Nivomat spring set.

Problem is, I'm not sure. And I'm hesistant to take it to a dealer for help, even if I have reason to trust them, as what I'm asking for is essentially a non-stock setup.

So I'm still debating the situation (with myself). The springs look really easy to replace... but I'm not inclined to do it myself.

If its not one thing... its another.

If anyone has specific experience with my model... please comment.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 PM

ipd sells a kit to convert the nivomat suspension to a non. its cheaper than the nivomat setup.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: luckytweaker

ipd sells a kit to convert the nivomat suspension to a non. its cheaper than the nivomat setup.
Thanks Lucky... I'm aware of the IPD "kit" from earlier posts. They are reasonably priced. The kit consists of two shocks and replacement springs.

I think the kit is a stronger set of springs, and stock bilsteins. They sort of imply there are some kind of adaptors, which is hanging me up. Reason for my hesitation is that I have "standard" non-nivomat shocks on the 760 GLE now. They fit, but they sit in a neutral position... that is, you can pull the bottom bolt with the vehicle sitting on the ground. This, of course, can't be right. The springs that come with a conversion kit are "overload" springs, I think. They bring the height up to the correct point, which would load the shocks.

I think a previous owner replaced Nivomat's with standard shocks. Then I concluded the shocks were "bad", and replaced them, not realizing a correct conversion from Nivomat's was never made... meaning the springs were not replaced, just the shocks.

IPD flatly states that all 1984-85 (mine was sold in '84 but is really an '85) 760 GLE's were Nivomats.

Only reason I'm debating all this rather than just taking it to dealer to fix is their solution will be very pricey. If I order the kit from IPD, I'm not sure whether the Bilsteins will just plug-in. I'm sure the heavier springs will help. I suspect the Bilsteins will fit just fine But I think all I need are the springs.

So I end up with extra shocks... although the Bilsteins are likely better shocks... .. dang-it, I should just order the kit and give it a try.

Thanks for the input.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: luckytweaker

I was about to place the order for the IPD conversion kit when I noticed they call it a 764, not a 760.

What is a 764, as opposed to a 760? I thought it might be a typo, but a google search brings up a Volvo 764 as well. Could it be just shorthand for a 760 4 door? The wagon they call a 765.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 PM

Greeting Forum Members
just joined because of a question, and saw something I can contribute to. I had volvo's for 16 years straight. 74 242, 82 turbo (242 bought new--great car), 85 760 turbo, 94 940 turbo wagon.
Volvo screwed up the number system in the mid eighties. used to be very consistant system first digit- model, second digit- engine cylinders, third digit- number of doors. so a 82, 245 is a 4 cylinder wagon. my 85, very rare car, never saw another like it, was a 760 turbo, but a 4 cylinder turbo. only 760 I ever saw with manual transmission.
The 760 "nivomat" needed shocks, volvo wanted about 1300 bucks for it, i went straight to boge and bought them for under 176 apiece. cheaper than conversion and the nivomat system is very nice

bill

Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bil6ft6

Greeting Forum Members
just joined because of a question, and saw something I can contribute to. I had volvo's for 16 years straight. 74 242, 82 turbo (242 bought new--great car), 85 760 turbo, 94 940 turbo wagon.
Volvo screwed up the number system in the mid eighties. used to be very consistant system first digit- model, second digit- engine cylinders, third digit- number of doors. so a 82, 245 is a 4 cylinder wagon. my 85, very rare car, never saw another like it, was a 760 turbo, but a 4 cylinder turbo. only 760 I ever saw with manual transmission.
The 760 "nivomat" needed shocks, volvo wanted about 1300 bucks for it, i went straight to boge and bought them for under 176 apiece. cheaper than conversion and the nivomat system is very nice

bill
Thanks for joining just to answer my question. We need a bit more activity on this forum.

I got the explanation on the numbering system. Makes sense.

On the replacement of the Nivomat suspension with just the Boge shocks... I think that is what the previous owner of mine did. I wasn't quite happy with the rear shock performance... and figured the shocks were just worn out. So I replaced them with a cheap but correct shock if the conversion had been made.

I think what the "conversion" does is replace the shocks with Boge or Bilstein.. AND beef up the rear springs. This is because the Nivomat shocks are "active" and replace some of the function of the rear spring. Therefore they came with lighter duty rear springs. So the "kit" includes shocks and a heavier duty spring.

If my theory, and it is a theory as I can't get a clear explanation from anyone so far, is correct, your rear end height should have been a tad lower..... and over time, had you had the vehicle long enough, too low (as I think the beefed up springs are necessary).

So on that theory, I've ordered IPD's conversion kit. They include Boge shocks and heavier duty springs. The price varies quit a bit depending on your model, but for the solid axle 760 sedan ('84) the cost is very good.. $245 for the two Boge shocks and two heavy duty springs. I'll update how this works when I have them in hand... and mounted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear shocks replacement, recommendations on shocks?