Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 240, 740 & 940
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM

Default squealing or screeching noise when i drive

alright so i have a 1986 volvo 240 stationwagon. there's a slight problem with the car at times. when i start it everything is great. then when i start to drive it a loud screeching or squealing noise come from the front of the car. im not sure if this is the engine or something else. i figure it might be a loose belt but im not sure either. so when i start to drive it starts to make the noise loudly. sometimes it doesnt make any noise. but when it does i have to intermitently rev the engine while driving or while parkedand sometimes it will go away. sometimes i have to stop the car and restart and that might or might not work so i do it all over again. the noise does go away but it doesnt sound like something i should keep off from fixing quickly. thanks guys.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Got Boost?
1982 Volvo 244
My Garage

Default RE: squealing or screeching noise when i drive

Can you try and pin-point the sound location.

It could be the timing belt rubbung against the cover.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 AM

Default RE: squealing or screeching noise when i drive

It sounds like a belt. While it issquealing it, spray some belt lubricant (available anywhere) on the belts, one by one, and this should tell you which one it is. Or you can try the old trick of running a bar of soap along the edge of the belts as the car is running. Of course, USE CAUTION if you do this, don't get your hand or finger caught on a moving part! Once you determine which belt it is, make sure that the pulley alignment is good as Volvos with their bushings get the accessories (P/S pump, ALT, etc),misaligned and this cause the belts to wear faster and squeal. Bottom line, you may have to change a belt or two AND some bushings.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:15 PM

I have a 1990 240DL...and whenever I start the car, it makes a loud squealing sound under the hood. If I let the engine idle for a minute or two, the sound goes away...but as soon as I begin to drive and push the gas pedal, the sound comes back. It eventually goes away after I drive for a minute or two.
Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:42 AM

one of your accessory belts needs to be changed...probably the power steering...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Default squeeking belts

I've never changed a belt. Is there an online description of sorts that might help?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM

It's one of the belts. When properly adjusted, you should get about 1/2" of deformation or flex, when you push on the belt at its' mid-point. The quick fix is WD-40, belt-ease, whatever, but you need to replace and/or adjust the belts before they go out you.

There are several adjustment points along the alternator brackets. Any Volvo tech book will help you with the steps, just take your time.
1988 244GL (dark metalic blue, stock tach, sunroof, Corona's)
1988 245DL (white, silver Virgo's)
1989 245DL (gray, roofrack, black Virgo's)
1970 Ford F250 CS (360ci, C6, rattle-can black, new 17" MB chrome wheels/tires)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Tags
240, ac, belt, belts, dl, drive, engine, loud, noise, penta, screeching, squeaking, squeal, squealing, volvo