Volvo 240 Wagon Exterior / Interior Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 240 Wagon Exterior / Interior Color Change

Hi all. I am new to the forums, and I am thinking about getting a 240 wagon. I really love the looks of the cars, and as a first car, I am really excited!

Anyways, there is a white wagon that I am looking at, but if I want to change it's color to the classic burgrundy, will it last? Are there any special things I should know about...whether it be about tendencies with the paint on 240, or the process to change the color. Obviously I am not going to do it, but I also am going to need to know the color of the burgrundy. Does it have a name or number, so I can identify it?

Thanks,
Conrad

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Volvo 240 Wagon Color Change

Like simul8guy said: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/paint_colour_codes.shtml

Check there for the color code. you might need 103.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:34 PM

How do I get my hands on that color?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Got Boost?

If youare having a shop doing the prep/painting, then you shouldn't have to do/get anything. The shop should have everything and do everything.
You just tell them what you want and they should be able to give you your newly paint car in a timely manor.

I know ipdusa.com sells some paint products, but I am not sure where you can get the paint.

Good luck

Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 PM

When you say shop, do you mean a volvo dealership, or just any body/paint shop?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM

You posted your question on the right forum.

Any reputable auto painter can get the paint if he has the color code. The code is on a plate under the hood, and a Volvo dealer can tell you the code. And as far as the color lasting, it all depends on the painter. A good paint job with good prep and primer will last as good as the original. And if the original paint is clearcoated, make sure to clearcoat on the repaint. I just had my car repainted the original silver. It was easy to get the paint.

What year is the Volvo? How many miles? Have you had it checked by a mechanic? If you haven't, I strongly recommend you have it checked by someone who knows Volvos. Shouldn't cost more than $50-$100. Volvo 240s are different animals and not for everyone. Unless it's been well cared for, a used 240 will need some work. I've had five of them, and recently bought a 1993 wagon. It only had 130,000 miles, but it had been neglected and somewhat abused. I spent about a thousand dollars on mechanical repairs and invested in new wheels and paint job. I have found that one should plan on spending at least a few hundred to get a used one in good shape. And find a mechanic you can trust. I'm lucky to have two of them within about 20 miles who work on nothing but Volvo 240s in small shops.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM

Well I am looking at one that is in my area, that is owned by a Volvo mechanic. So he has kept it up to good shape, and he can probably tell me where to go for a good re-paint. I apreciate all the help here!

I am really looking forward to the car. My next question, the car is white and I want it to be re-painted to 103, burgrundy. The interior is blue vinyl[&:]... I am looking for a tan interior.

So what is required? I kow that the side of the dash panel would be the same color as the interior, blue. Would the carpets/floor be blue as well? Can anyone advise me on the process of overhauling the interior to tan...?

I could probably start with the map holders/pockets

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Got Boost?

Okay if you are going to tackel the interior yourself...you will need to orderpre moldedcarpet from somewhere (a site or a store) and you will need to get all new interior clips, and new interior panels, and you will need to get the seats re-upohlsterd.. Costly but is a good way to go.

Another option is get the new carpets (listed above) and buy an interior paint with the Tan color your are looking for, and you will need to get the seats re-upohlsterd.

Option 3 is to take it to a shop or local place that specializes in interiors and have them do it.

Remember: you can always get interior parts from a junkyard that are tan color.

Tech knows alot about about interiors, for he is helping PANTYEATER do his interior (I think).

Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 AM

Hey cool, you’re basically getting my car. White 240 wagon with blue vinyl interior, though I painted half of it blue to make it two-tone. If you’re getting new seats I wish I could buy yours off you, I love my blue vinyl interior but the driver’s seat is too trashed to repair. But you live too far away. If you’re still looking, I think you’d honestly have an easier time looking for a Volvo that’s already a color you like. I turned my nose up at eight 240s before I found this one, (I wanted one with chrome window trim.)