96 Volvo 960: Fix or Sell?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Volvo 960: Fix or Sell?!

Hello again guys!

I'm starting to consider whether or not I should fix or sell The White Rabbit. The thought of selling her is awful, but there are a lot of things wrong with it. I originally paid 1100 for her with a little over 100k miles on it.

1. The entire fuel sending unit is no longer working- approximately $500 in parts and labor.

2. Both front Sway bars have play - $40 a pair, part only

3. There is most likely a secondary air injection system malfunction - the air pump will be between $60 - $350, parts only

4. Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) which would require a new catalytic converter - from $150 to $400, part only

I would end up paying $750 - $1290 parts only, not including labor. Right now she's rolling with a little over 200k right now
Should I fix it or sell it? UGH! I'M SO CONFLICTED!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

curious, who diagnosed the problems/resolutions? For example, in item 4, I take it somebody read an OBD2 code which says the rear O2 sensor is out of range... That doesn't always point to a failed cat - could be as simple as a vacuum leak or the sensor. For the air pump, again was there a specific check engine code? Could it be the check valve? (BTW, rebuilt pumps can be found for about $140 online, the check valve is about $30.). At the end of the day, you need to look at the math of owning a car. Say you can afford $100 a month for "car payments". You can go and buy a car that fits that budget and hopefully get a bit of low maintenance time. Now say you already own a car - similarly you can budget $100 a month but this time its to pay for upkeep. Many of us are DIY types who can buy the parts and install on our own to cut the cash outlay. If you have to use a shop, then your best bet is to find a trusty independent for most "routine" jobs and use the dealer for the special cases (for example, I had my dealer diagnose and replace a side airbag, but my indy does all the other jobs I don't have time for or those that requires special tools or a lift.) My concern for you would be how to get an accurate diagnosis and not replace parts that are at fault. So say your total repair bill is $1200 parts labor. That's only $100 a month and your still on budget :-)

Old 07-05-2016, 09:33 PM
Default Specific Codes

Originally Posted by mt6127
curious, who diagnosed the problems/resolutions? For example, in item 4, I take it somebody read an OBD2 code which says the rear O2 sensor is out of range... That doesn't always point to a failed cat - could be as simple as a vacuum leak or the sensor. For the air pump, again was there a specific check engine code? Could it be the check valve? (BTW, rebuilt pumps can be found for about $140 online, the check valve is about $30.). At the end of the day, you need to look at the math of owning a car. Say you can afford $100 a month for "car payments". You can go and buy a car that fits that budget and hopefully get a bit of low maintenance time. Now say you already own a car - similarly you can budget $100 a month but this time its to pay for upkeep. Many of us are DIY types who can buy the parts and install on our own to cut the cash outlay. If you have to use a shop, then your best bet is to find a trusty independent for most "routine" jobs and use the dealer for the special cases (for example, I had my dealer diagnose and replace a side airbag, but my indy does all the other jobs I don't have time for or those that requires special tools or a lift.) My concern for you would be how to get an accurate diagnosis and not replace parts that are at fault. So say your total repair bill is $1200 parts labor. That's only $100 a month and your still on budget :-)
I had originally received my diagnosis and advice from my old mechanic about some previous things and have recently moved out of town far enough to where it's difficult to drive back. I would like to learn to fix my baby, because I understand the cost difference in getting repairs done and doing them myself.
I then had gone to advanced auto parts just to get the codes. I have a previous post about which codes I had gotten and details. Sorry, I don't have any of my notes near me, I believe it was P0422 and P0410.

Last edited by volvo-moonchild; 07-05-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:29 AM

here is how I look at it.
if the car is paid for, its in good shape, then divide the bill by what a car payment would be and if you can drive it long enough to make up the bill, then fix it.

I paid 5k for a Mercedes. my wife wrecked it. I put about 2k in repairs. I have driven it for over a year so I have my money back vs what a car payment would equal for all this time. it has 230k on it and plan on 300k+.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:27 PM

If you decide to sell, please let me know. I would rescue it. See other recent post about 1997 white Volvo. Mine needs a companion when we are not driving.