Climate control light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Climate control light bulb

I had a problem a while back with bad bulbs blowing out my headlight and taillight fuses. It seems I have narrowed the problem down to the light bulbs in the climate control unit. Is it possible to replace the bulbs in the climate control unit? Just throwing this out here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECC light bulbs will not cause headlight and taillight bulbs to blow out.

Yes, ECC bulbs can be replaced easily. You will need Radioshack's bulbs 272-1092, cut out the long leads and re-install in sockets. Don't yank the old ones from the socket. You need to cut out their leads and should come out easily.

Take out the ECC by following this -- https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ulb-out-42248/

Here is a read on -- Volvo tal lights suck. - Turbobricks Forums

Old 12-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Henry, These bulbs are in fact blowing my fuse's for my headlights. There was one that was bad and kept blowing my fuses out whenever it made contact with something. I found out by tapping the climate control on the face and it would blow the fuses out. I am going to use the bulbs you listed and this problem should finally solve this problem. This has been eating away at me for over a year now and I finally tracked it down. Thanks again

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Good luck on repairing your issue. I am in the process of replacing every bulb in the interior.

Are you sure it is not the bulb holder that is causing you grief? when I went to the junk yard I took apart several climate control pods(that part of the dash that has the climate controls and the defrost etc) and behind every one was a rats nest of wires). I also noticed the wires to the bulb that shines above the defrost, AC switches and the 2 bulbs that light up the climate control are in bulb sockets that have exposed wire connectors. Perhaps the issue is those connectors contacting something? After you replace the bulbs take a bit of electrical tape and cover the connectors

Good luck

Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECC Unit has no direct connection to Headlight and Taillight circuits. However in the vicinity (i.e. dash) these are the parts of the Headlight/Taillight system:

1- Headlight, Foglight switches on the dash
2- Fuse 24 in fuse panel box inside the car
3- Main Headlight Relay, which is left of the steering column
4- Ground to Main HL Relay is below left front seat, which is shared with the Switches.

Yes, it looks like somewhere in the bundle of wires behind the dash, you might have a short.

You can view the diagram here.