Low boost issue '93 940 w/garrett turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low boost issue '93 940 w/garrett turbo

the car is a 1993 940 Turbo Sedan with a garrett turbo, and 230,000 miles.

Here are the things that have been checked/replaced in the last month, its a long list:
*removed, inspected re gaped spark plugs to 7mm.
*Cleaned all ground points and used a conductive grease on them after cleaning
*cleaned and deoxidized the battery terminals and cables
*replaced the coil
*replaced the cap and rotor
*replaced the plug wires
*replaced knock sensor
*replaced fuel pressure regulator
*Cleaned oil/vapor trap (that was nasty)
*cleaned "flame trap" PVC elbow where the vac line goes into the intake manifold
*replaced all rubber fuel lines
*replaced fuel pump and fuel filter
*cleaned the throttle body
*cleaned the intake manifold, and replaced with new gasket
*replaced ALL intake hoses
*replaced ALL vacuum lines
*Replaced ALL coolant hoses
*cleaned MAF
*removed and cleaned injectors
*new injector seals
*cleaned, deoxidized all engine compartment harness connections
*replaced idle air control valve
*replaced auxiliary suppression relay
*replaced coolant temp sensor (the one under the air intake for cylinder 4)
*replaced heater control valve
*replaced thermostat and thermostat housing
*replaced oil filler cap o-ring

ok thats the list of things replaced in the last month. The problem is, that no matter what I do, I cannot get more than 5psi boost. I borrowed a manual boost controller, and attached it in the vac line from manifold to the turbo, and no matter how i dialed it in, i still only got 5psi. The turbo spools slower than molasses, and when taking off from a dead start, I get no boost for a long time, and she falls flat on her face.

When I replaced the intercooler hoses, I noticed a fair amount of oil on the outlet side of the intercooler, and more on the intake side. so I then decided to check the shaft play in the turbo, and I believe that there is too much, because I can see it and feel it moving. I also think I noticed some points on the blades where they contacted the housing... so I am thinking I need a new turbo. I dont want to pay for a brand new one, rebuilding is a viable option, but cheapest in the area is $320, not including if I need new blades. so more than that. I am trying to find a used/salvage turbo, but I can only seem to find the mitsubishi turbos.

If anyone has any thoughts on anything I may have overlooked, or has any ideas on salvage yards that might have the turbo I need or anywhere I might be able to find one at all, I don't care where, please, please, please let me know!

Old 07-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitly sounds like your wastegate (or the wastgate pluck) is stuck opened....hence the longer spool times and limiting boost problems.....

wait for the experts to get on.....

Last edited by TIPSP; 07-09-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
Definitly sounds like your wastegate (or the wastgate pluck) is stuck opened....hence the longer spool times and limiting boost problems.....

wait for the experts to get on.....
Yeah, the vac line is new, and the nipple from the intake manifold is clear, so perhaps its the vac controlled solenoid that controls the waste gate actuator? or its the waste gate actuator or the waste gate?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Got Boost?

bad wastegate....

Undo the line going to the wastegate, and do a test drive. give it some gas. It should just build and build and not stop. Do NOT drive like that for long or push it to hard.

If it does keep build then the wastgate is bad. If it doesn't keep building, then you will have to remove the downpipe, and see if the pluck inside the turbo is stuck opend or cracked.....

Wait for the experts to get on.....

Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP
bad wastegate....

Undo the line going to the wastegate, and do a test drive. give it some gas. It should just build and build and not stop. Do NOT drive like that for long or push it to hard.

If it does keep build then the wastgate is bad. If it doesn't keep building, then you will have to remove the downpipe, and see if the pluck inside the turbo is stuck opend or cracked.....

Wait for the experts to get on.....
how do i undo the vac line from the turbo to the actuator? Its different, im assuming because of the pressure, than I have ever seen before, and I dont want to break anything.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Got Boost?

I just cut mine off and put a MBC to controll the boost. I replaced the stock line with a silicone line. if you have any silicone vacuum lines laying around, cut off yours then try the test drive. give it little gas and boost should still build.

I thought your Wanted post says your turbo is shot? that would be the problem....

wait for the experts to get on......