Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 260, 760 & 960
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Default shifter stuck in park

I have a 97 960 the shifter is stuck in park does not release when I depress brake only when I push in manual shift button, dealer said it was solenoid ? can I replace ? how hard is it to do? can anyone explain how to do ? thanks in advance
Don
Old 10-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. Check forum for PNP switch problem and fixes. Common problem. not hard to fix.

1998 V90, 162k miles.

Previous:
1983 244 GL
1995 855T
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator
1995 Volvo 850
My Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to rspi

There is also a chance you have a bad ignition switch. If you start the car and turn the key back just a little, it may start working properly. It's a common problem with Volvo's built between '93 and '99. Every 960/S90 I owned had the problem. I kinda liked it, it was like a security feature. You may need to get a new ignition switch from FCP or somewhere and replace it. Not as bad as it sounds. The ignition switch is on the other side of the steering collum from where you stick the key in. It has about 15 switches in it that control a lot of stuff. About 75% of them will work when you turn them back a little, the others will not. The part at FCP is about $55.

Common symptoms are:
  • Will not come out of gear.
  • Windows will not come down.
  • Lights don't work.
  • Radio won't come on.
  • Turn signals don't work.
  • Lights don't come one.
  • Cruise control won't engage.
  • The list goes on...
The car will run and drive but most accessories will not work.
Volvo Repair Videos - Used Parts For Sale - Interior Lights For Sale - ABS Light? Click Here - Men's Mentoring
--------------------------------------------
Volvo's of time past: '87 740 GLE, '79 262C Bertone, '78 264, '95 960, '97 960, '98 S90, '98 S70 GLT, '95 850 T-5R Yellow, '95 960, ,96 850 R...

Last edited by rspi; 10-17-2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spacing - bullets
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Tags
1995, 1995volvo960stuckinpark, 960, atuck, gear, gearshift, locked, park, part, shift, shifter, stuck, volvo, volvogearshiftstuckinpark, wont