windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windshield wiper problem

Driving in the rain last night, my 960, 1997 sedan, the wipers broke. What happened was the passenger side kept going ok, but the driver side became loose, then the two locked and all movement stopped. This morning I looked at it and saw the left blade was loose at the anchor point going into the linkage (pivot point). I tightened it and both wipers go back and forth together okay again. But when I turn them on electrically, nothing is happening, but I can hear the motor still whirring. So I think the linkage broke. My question is how to get to it. It looks accessable from under the hood, but I wondered if someone could help. TIA. Ron Rickenbach

Old 09-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: windshield wiper problem

Never had to do one as of yet. But I believe you will need to remove the black cover by the wiper arms to get to it.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: windshield wiper problem

I did take off the cover, and the problem was that the linkage that connects the wipers to the motor had popped out. I was able to pop it back in, resycronize the blades to the off position, put the cover back on and I was good to go. Thanks for the quick response. Ron

Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue, different problem

When I pulled the cowling off of the windshield motor/transmission I found that the linkage from the motor to the armature bar was just sitting on it, the bushing appears to be totally un-attachable to the metal ball (I'm assuming the correct bushing is a socket it "pops" into.....) but it just sits there. I packed it with grease hoping that the cowling would just hold the bar on it while it turned, it worked for....a few seconds and came off again. I can't find the part listed anywhere for just the bushing. I did find some other "multi-packs" of wiper linkage bushings, and some large gromets from local hardware, but I'm not sure if I can jury rig it to work.

The weird thing is I can't find any of the old parts, had it all opened up, no sign of any crumbling rubber from the old bushing at all. It just sits on the motor ball, like an open cup?

Any idea where I can get this part? Or a solution? Or do I have to wait until the Dealer is back open and order it from them?

It's a '93 960 but I'm fairly certain it has parts commonality through most of the model years.

I tried to use the wipers to brush off what I THOUGHT was just some dry poweder snow, but it was super heavy wet, w/some frozen layer to the windshield. Live and learn.....

Just need to find the part, or a solution. Thanks.