Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo SRS Light 232 SRS Module Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo SRS Light 232 SRS Module Failure

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo SRS Light 232 SRS module failure

I have not seen SRS issues posted here but I know others have experiences problems with the SRS. I had my car checked out at the Volvo dealership and computer diagnostic said SRS module was bad. I found a used confirmed good SRS Module and installed same. SRS module when out after engine start but came back on after about 3 minutes and remained on. I have reset the 232 code under the hood to 111, disconnected the battery for 15 plus minutes to power off the car's computers, replaced the Driver's side left belt tensioner open circuit 232 cause but the light remains on. I now suspect the wire from the tensioner to the module may be shorted/grounded. I will check the wire when I get more time.

Has anyone else experienced SRS problems? In particular 232 code? Dealer is to expensive so either I solve it cheaply or the car goes to the bone yard. SRS is a state inspection failure item so the clock is ticking on my beloved Volvo that still has lots of pep and life.

Any constructive suggestions, pointers, or help would be appreciated.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM

232 is "Left belt tensioner open circuit", check your connector first.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM

Checked connection, changed the tensioner, reset the B3 circuit, changed the SRS Module, no luck.

Is there any more information to read about Volvo SRS?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

open circuit could also be a broken wire.
So you will need to ensure that the whole circuit is good, not just one little part of it.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Going to the junkyard today to pull a SRS module and AC compressor. Wish someone in this forum had some experience with the Volvo SRS system. May have to disconnect the light if this 2nd module fails...... Yeah, Yeah, no airbags but need transportation, just like in 1982..... no airbags then either.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by ShaginWagon
open circuit could also be a broken wire.
So you will need to ensure that the whole circuit is good, not just one little part of it.
Posted my last before I saw your recommendation. So there could be a ground or open circuit anywhere in the SRS system like airbag connections, inside SRS module, rt seat belt tensioner, etc. Any recommendations on isolating this system that runs throughout the car?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 AM

This is the SRS wiring info I found from VADIS, it looks kinda strait.

Attached Thumbnails 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo SRS Light 232 SRS Module Failure-screen.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

The SRS system is a pain to fix. I had the same issue you are having on my 940 and I could not for the life of my fix the issue. I ended up just taking the bulb out so that I could pass inspection.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Very helpful, thanks!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by confused_al
This is the SRS wiring info I found from VADIS, it looks kinda strait.

Very helpful, thanks!!! What is VADIS?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by fcpgroton
The SRS system is a pain to fix. I had the same issue you are having on my 940 and I could not for the life of my fix the issue. I ended up just taking the bulb out so that I could pass inspection.

I may eventually go this route but I am challenged to figure it out. It's only wires and such with a logical reason for the light. SRS troubleshooting information does not exist.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM

Are you using junkyard parts or new? It is possible that you got a bad part.
Also, are you performing a capacitor discharge or just disconnecting the battery?

This is what I pulled from Alldata for the code 232 (I'm at home so can't check Vida)
Conditions For Code
Driver/passenger airbag igniters resistance too high (indicating a wiring open circuit).

Fault Symptoms
None, except for operation of SRS lamp.

Fault Source
Open circuit in wiring, connectors or airbag module.

Action

1. Turn ignition switch to Off position, then disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Disconnect electrical connector of suspect airbag module, then connect special tool 998 8695 to connector.
3. Clear codes, then display codes.
4. If code does not recur within 15 seconds, replace airbag module. If code recurs, proceed as follows:

1. Connect ohmmeter between one of igniter connector pins and corresponding pin in crash sensor connector. Repeat for other pins in two connectors. If resistance is 0 ohm, wiring is intact. If resistance is infinite, module wiring is short circuited. Measurement must not be carried out directly on module, or deployment may result.
2. Check wiring and connectors between crash sensor and module in question. If code 2-1-2 is displayed, also check contact reel for short circuit. Airbag module must be disconnected before carrying out this measurement.
3. Ensure that code does not recur when new module has been installed.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM

did you unplug an airbag at some point?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by volvo4mula
Are you using junkyard parts or new? It is possible that you got a bad part.
Also, are you performing a capacitor discharge or just disconnecting the battery?

This is what I pulled from Alldata for the code 232 (I'm at home so can't check Vida)
Conditions For Code
Driver/passenger airbag igniters resistance too high (indicating a wiring open circuit).

Fault Symptoms
None, except for operation of SRS lamp.

Fault Source
Open circuit in wiring, connectors or airbag module.

Action

1. Turn ignition switch to Off position, then disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Disconnect electrical connector of suspect airbag module, then connect special tool 998 8695 to connector.
3. Clear codes, then display codes.
4. If code does not recur within 15 seconds, replace airbag module. If code recurs, proceed as follows:

1. Connect ohmmeter between one of igniter connector pins and corresponding pin in crash sensor connector. Repeat for other pins in two connectors. If resistance is 0 ohm, wiring is intact. If resistance is infinite, module wiring is short circuited. Measurement must not be carried out directly on module, or deployment may result.
2. Check wiring and connectors between crash sensor and module in question. If code 2-1-2 is displayed, also check contact reel for short circuit. Airbag module must be disconnected before carrying out this measurement.
3. Ensure that code does not recur when new module has been installed.
Disconnected battery for 3-4 days while waiting for new SRS module. Installed used SRS module then reconnected the battery. SRS light was out fro about 3 minutes then came back on steady. I assume the capacitor would discharge over 3 days. Just in case how do I discharge the capacitor?

No maintenance action was taken on the SRS system. Light appeared about 10 months ago but not inspection is due so I need some sort of resolution.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM

did you unplug an airbag at some point?

No but see my last post for more details. Volvo dealership ran diagnostic on SRS / car and they SRS module was identified as the bad part. Hence the eBay replacement. eBay seller stated that part came from working Volvo with no airbag deployment. I believe the eBay SRS module is OK and my problem is elsewhere within the SRS system.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky4688
No but see my last post for more details. Volvo dealership ran diagnostic on SRS / car and they SRS module was identified as the bad part. Hence the eBay replacement. eBay seller stated that part came from working Volvo with no airbag deployment. I believe the eBay SRS module is OK and my problem is elsewhere within the SRS system.
No airbag deployment doesn't mean no airbag light.
The only way to diag the system right is to have the resistors to plug into the system (airbag simulators). It is highly discouraged that you should try to use any sort of diagnostic equipment on the SRS wires. DMMs use low level dc current to test circuits that could potentially set off an airbag.
(FYI a cap discharge is disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and connecting them together to allow the static energy to work itself off. It usually takes about 10 min or so)

Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM

No airbag deployment doesn't mean no airbag light.
The only way to diag the system right is to have the resistors to plug into the system (airbag simulators). It is highly discouraged that you should try to use any sort of diagnostic equipment on the SRS wires. DMMs use low level dc current to test circuits that could potentially set off an airbag.
(FYI a cap discharge is disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and connecting them together to allow the static energy to work itself off. It usually takes about 10 min or so)
I will try the discharge method. I will follow your recommendation to not perform ohm testing on SRS system reference the possibility of activating an airbag. Down side is if the discharge does not reset the computer or the SRS light remains on then I will just disconnect the light bulb from the instrument panel. Thanks for all your very useful suggestions!!!!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sparky4688
... I will just disconnect the light bulb from the instrument panel...
I assume you know when your SRS is lit the system is disabled.
Regarding to the driver side airbag, the most common problem is the clock spring. It is made by plastic and became brittle over time. I had to replace mine while I was doing my evaporator, because the the plastic base of the clock spring broke into 4 pieces.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 AM

I just found the SRS part in the 95 service menu, but the file size is alot bigger than 19.5kb allowed (19.5k? thats a joke). If your interested give me an email address I'll be glad to send over.
Better yet, I found the link you can down load the zip file yourself.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow.../Volvo_850.zip

Last edited by confused_al; 08-28-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by confused_al
I just found the SRS part in the 95 service menu, but the file size is alot bigger than 19.5kb allowed (19.5k? thats a joke). If your interested give me an email address I'll be glad to send over.
Better yet, I found the link you can down load the zip file yourself.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow.../Volvo_850.zip

A big THANKS to CA!!!!!!

Last night when reading the air bag restraint system troubleshooting link there were a few things to try.

1. Disconnect the battery then bridge car's terminals to discharge capacitors, etc.
2. Once step one is complete and after any SRS repairs turn ignition to the on position then reconnect the battery. Note stressed to ensure no one was in the car when the battery is reconnected. This procedure should reset the new SRS module that was installed last week.

Wish the "near dead" Volvo luck!

Quick Reply: 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo SRS Light 232 SRS Module Failure