Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1995 850 t5r slow starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 850 t5r slow starting

Over the past few weeks when i start my car is barely wants to turn over for the first few cranks, then it cranks fast enought for the car to start. I thought it was the starter, so i put a new one in and now when i try to start car it just makes one click then nothing. My battery is only 7 months old. Anyone have any ideas, on what i am missing? Any ideas whould be great.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery

hey Todd get your car electrical system checked as soon as you can. Something is slowly draining your battery OR that 7 month battery just went bad, which could happen and does sometimes.

I once purchased the most expensive battery at Sears for my Dad's Ford Van. It was a high quality piece with a small window to see charge level light, a nice handle, really nice. It looked like something from NASA. Stupid box lasted 4 days. I got my money back and bought a regular green and white INTERSTATE battery for him and that lasted 6 years.

If you have any aftermarket sound system in you car, the amplifiers sometime take a little too much when the car is powered down.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Your battery is run down.

You can just imagine the number of times somebody has posted in any forum this same thing. Usually, they say I replaced the battery, the alternator, and the starter.

My advice is, buy a volt meter. Use jumper cables. Get the car started. Check the voltage running and non-running. Running should be about 14 volts. Not running, once you get the battery charged up, it'll show about 12 volts.

Volt meters are required to fix about half of life's problems.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdparts
Your battery is run down.

You can just imagine the number of times somebody has posted in any forum this same thing. Usually, they say I replaced the battery, the alternator, and the starter.

My advice is, buy a volt meter. Use jumper cables. Get the car started. Check the voltage running and non-running. Running should be about 14 volts. Not running, once you get the battery charged up, it'll show about 12 volts.

Volt meters are required to fix about half of life's problems.
Ok i will go an get a volt meter and check that out to make sure my baytery is ok. I also was thinking it was the battery so i put a different battery in from a different car that had no problems. I turned the key over and i got a hard click then nothing. I have put in several starters before so i am thinking i didnt hook it up right. Both of the wires go onto the same back post then the other loose wire slides on the the other post. Is this not right? Im almost sure thats how it was when i took it off. Could it be a ignition relay. I am by far not a great mechanic. Thanks

Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

My guess is that you have battery cable issues. I changed a starter and alternator for nothing before I figured this out.