Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1997 850 sunroof trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 850 sunroof trouble.

Hi everyone, and happy Friday!

So it's not my sunroof--it'smy boyfriend's. He has a 1997 850 GLT sedan, bought in slightly rough shape (a few cosmetic issues anda sensor problem we're going to hopefully work on this weekend with JPN's advice )in June of 2006 for $3000. Now, the sunroof appears to have slipped out of its track, leaving a gap between the glass paneland the roof of the car. It has never worked/opened for us, but we assumed that it would stay in place until we could figure out what all was wrong with it. Has anyone else had this happen? I tried pushing on it gently just to see if it was loose, but it wouldn't move. Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated, and yes, of course we're going to buy a service manual as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading,
Christie

P.S.--I'm about to post a 240 DL wagon that needs major work for sale over in that forum; if anyone is interested let me know (pics to come).

Old 04-21-2007, 03:09 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 1997 850 sunroof trouble.

Hi Christie,

I did have a similar problem. In my case, it was the failed scissors mechanism on the right-side sunroof track. Try removing the roof glass; this allows much access to the track mechanism & visual inspection, and all you need is a Torx tool (plus attention to detail). Just remove Torx screws to remove the sunroof glass.

In my case, the roof needed the entire right-side roof track, which was about $100 just for the parts at a dealer, and the sunroof assembly has to be dropped from the inside of the car. This should be done at a dealer, as it requires removal of much interior trim pieces that can crack easily. It is also a two-men job as the sunroof assembly is very heavy.

The following URLs may be of help:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=30393#30393
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php

I'll also show you the section of the track mechanism that failed (scissors mechanism cracked due to grease erosion?); see attached pic. My sunroof did open but did not want to close. I took out shattered plastics from the scissors mechanism, as well as reconditioning of the shade latches.

Also, check the fuse for sunroof drive motor.

I hope this helps.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/02583EB011F94C14B758BAC39239E346.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2007, 06:01 PM

Oh boy... We got the motor working for a very short time--turns out the mechanical was OK and it was actually already partially open, so just a fuse, or so we thought--now the sunroof is stuck all the way open, and it keeps blowing fuses. We've checked for a jam and can find none. It opened and closed smoothly exactly once. Is there a connector that we can check? We know the fuses are good; we just bought 'em from AutoZone. They didn't have the 850 service manual in stock, though...

Ugh!
Christie

Old 05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow.../Volvo_850.zip

There's the service manual. There is a section regarding the sunroof.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by JPN
Hi Christie,

I did have a similar problem. In my case, it was the failed scissors mechanism on the right-side sunroof track. Try removing the roof glass; this allows much access to the track mechanism & visual inspection, and all you need is a Torx tool (plus attention to detail). Just remove Torx screws to remove the sunroof glass.

In my case, the roof needed the entire right-side roof track, which was about $100 just for the parts at a dealer, and the sunroof assembly has to be dropped from the inside of the car. This should be done at a dealer, as it requires removal of much interior trim pieces that can crack easily. It is also a two-men job as the sunroof assembly is very heavy.

The following URLs may be of help:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...?p=30393#30393
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php

I'll also show you the section of the track mechanism that failed (scissors mechanism cracked due to grease erosion?); see attached pic. My sunroof did open but did not want to close. I took out shattered plastics from the scissors mechanism, as well as reconditioning of the shade latches.

Also, check the fuse for sunroof drive motor.

I hope this helps.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/02583EB011F94C14B758BAC39239E346.jpg[/IMG]
Hey I want to thank you for helping with this site, your info has been helpful. I just joined since I purchased my 97 850 a few months ago. I have recently had my sunroof opened and it proceeded to Jam on the drivers side track and will not close. It seems that the way to remove the sunroof has to happen from the tilted position (which I cannot get to. Can anyone give me some advise about what to do now. Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

*disclaimer* - I haven’t had to deal with my sunroof (yet!), so I’m just spit-balling here. Are you able to 'push' on the glass when engaging the motor to see if it just needs a bit of help moving? If there's just a smidge of movement, you may need to grease up the tracks and make sure there isn't any debris clogging up the tracks. My sunroof wasn’t closing properly and I was guessing that there was a gunk-to-lube imbalance J