Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

6 disk cd changer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 disk cd changer

Ok, i got a new 94 850 turbo. This car is equipped with a 6 disk cd changer but when i click cd on the radio it does nothing. I changed the fuse, i even opened up the cd player and everything was connected, but there was an old cd in there. i made sure it was plugged into the back of the radio also. Any idea of why the radio cant even tell the cd player is there, if it was messed up id think it would give an error message. Thanks, Cody

Old 08-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Default RE: 6 disk cd changer

I had a similar problem but the radio did give the error code 'EEEE'. However, when I switched the radio off and back on the code had disappeared and no amount of pushing on the CD button did any good. It's possible that you missed the code or was it like that when you got the car?

I bought a new (second hand) CD player to replace the 'broken' unit. I unplugged the CD interface from the rear of the radio then realised the new interface was different and required extra wiring. So I plugged the old interface back in and, out of curiosity, pressed CD. It worked!!

Since then, having resold the other unit I have had the 'EEEE' code a couple of times and it has been cured by unplugging and replugging the interface.

It's worth a try.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Did you check to see if you had power going to the CD player?. It is a separate wire from the plug that goes to the back of the radio.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 AM

I have a 6 stacker to be installed into my 96 850. Where is the best place to have it fitted ?

Old 09-09-2006, 01:03 PM

You have a few options

1. Glove box. I like this one because it's easy to change disks from the drivers seat'

2. Trun or under rear speaker shelf (or hatch on wagon)

3. Front passenger seat. Might be tight but possible.

IMO, #1 is the easiest if you don't mind giving up some storage space

Old 09-15-2006, 09:35 PM

Does your cartridge stacker eject?

My CD player refused to play/eject and I found it was a CD that someone had inserted upside down in the stacker.

I ended up taking the CD player cover off and, with a pair of surgical tweezers, break the CD into pieces and pull the broken pieces out (but be very careful because there is a laser head in the vicinity).

When the CD player was reconnected, after a few buzzes and whirrs to re-align itself, it started operating perfectly.

Hope what I found may be of some help to you.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:39 AM

Cheers for that
I am thinking in the trunk is going to be my best option

Old 09-16-2006, 03:31 AM

Hi Vern74,

You don't mention whether your 850 is a sedan or a wagon.

As listed on this site there are a number of places common to both.

(1) GLOVEBOX:- be careful putting it in here though, 850 gloveboxes are notorious for jamming shut without any warning.
(2) UNDER PASSENGER SEAT: - O.K if 850 doesn't have electric seats.
(3) BOOT:- high up under the rear ledge in the boot/trunk compartment of a sedan.
(4) CARGO AREA:- mounted vertically, tucked up as close as possible to the LHS wall of the cargo area just in from the tailgate of a wagon (very easy access at all times).

My CD player is mounted as in (4) and my wife made a leatherette cover that fits neatly over the CD player to stop any rubbish, dust etc. from getting in.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:58 AM

I'm a new 94 850 Wagon Volvo owner and my radio has a cd button on it. Does that mean I have a CD player? My question is where is the stock cd changer located. I can't find mine.
Dennis

Old 11-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: dgharris

I'm a new 94 850 Wagon Volvo owner and my radio has a cd button on it. Does that mean I have a CD player? My question is where is the stock cd changer located. I can't find mine.
Dennis
Are you sure it is a "CD" button? What does it say exactly?

Also the HU should have a CD player in it. Or is yours just a tape deck? 94 seems to me wouldn't have a CD player in the HU.

Try in the trunk area. It might be under some floor mats or in the stow away cargo area.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 PM

Volgrr said:

(4) CARGO AREA:- mounted vertically, tucked up as close as possible to the LHS wall of the cargo area just in from the tailgate of a wagon (very easy access at all times).

My CD player is mounted as in (4) and my wife made a leatherette cover that fits neatly over the CD player to stop any rubbish, dust etc. from getting in.
Mine is mounted on the right hand side, only because previous owner had routed the cable to that side. I adapted a cheap plastic tool box to cover it - cut a hole in the bottom just big enough for the CD Player to go through and the screws for the brackets hold the box in place. There is enough room inside to hold the empty CD cases.

If you mount the CD player vertically remember to change the position of the internal dampers.

In reply to dgharris: the head unit will have the CD button but not necessarily the CD player. The cable will, in all probability, be present from the head unit to the rear of the car. When I bought my car the player was mounted under the forward floor panel in the load area. I found, however, that it was not a good place as everything had to be taken out to change the CDs.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:29 AM

S70driver
Mine says CD on it and it has a tape player in the HU. I'll look tomorrow for the CD changer in the cargo area. Thanks everyone for the information.

Dennis

Old 12-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Hi , this is the first volvo i have bought and i cant see myself driving anything else now . ive bought a 850 estate on a 95/96 but when i put a cd in the changer and press the cd button it goes through it routine and then fashes with 3 lines and a Hlike this (---H) and wont play , can anybody help me please . thanks Steve.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM

by interface do you mean the antena switch box?