Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Default 850 non-turbo whine when driving

Hello all and thanks so much for all the tips!

I've had garage experience some 25 years ago and am actually enjoying a more hands on approach to car maintenance with my "new" 96 850 Wagon with approx 155K. Thanks to Mathews and this site, I've fixed my completely separated door stay mounts, ABS module, odometer and flame trap. It certainly helps that the previous owner had around 7k into suspension, t-belts, water pump, tires, PS pump etc ...This car was bought for $1900 and so far I've only got $50 into it including $35 for a "post" purchase inspection by Specialized in Santa Cruz, CA (wonderful folks) that suggested I'm in pretty good shape minus weak coolant and a "little" crankcase pressure--which I'll probably pay them to address (pcv/breather overhaul).

So, no more rambling. This car runs great except once I get up to driving speed, a low level whine presents itself that is NOT tied to RPM. It does seem to shift between 2 or maybe 3 frequencies. The sound goes away when I slow to an idle--which is making it hard to locate. It also doesn't seem to manifest itself when parked at higher and held RPM's. There is no performance problems, but being that I work in the sound field, noises like this drive me mad. Funnily, the day I had the car inspection, the sound was not obvious.

Air pump? some valve - vacuum leak ?

Thanks for any insight here...
Old 07-19-2009, 02:37 PM

Without hearing it would be impossible to say; first thing that popped into my head was that transmission whine you get when the torque convertor starts to go bad (knock on wood...).

You could either get a recording of it, post it on utube, then post link here, or take it to your trusted shop and see what they think.

1998 S70 GLT, 70K mls, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways.
1996 855T, 120K mls,
N/A cams, N/A intake manifold & TB, ARD green w/M4.4, OBX improved, white injectors, 18T, R ExMan, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways, AEM boost and AFR gauges. Fun DD!
Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Would the torque converter NOT follow acceleration frequencies ? It's a very steady pitch, but it does "shift" to different notes at times hmmmm...

I'll do more hearing tests and return. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM

I didn't say it was torque convertor; just said that's the first thing that popped into my head. From your description we can probably rule that out.

Again we would have to be able to hear it to go any further; as you have found it's very difficult to describe a sound...

1998 S70 GLT, 70K mls, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways.
1996 855T, 120K mls,
N/A cams, N/A intake manifold & TB, ARD green w/M4.4, OBX improved, white injectors, 18T, R ExMan, Bilstein TCs, IPD sways, AEM boost and AFR gauges. Fun DD!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Well, this would be a nearly impossible sound to record given how it blends in with other ambient noises. I do pro field recording and could give it a shot, but it would take some doing! It's so odd somehow that it fades away when the car isn't moving. While driving, I can go into neutral and the sound stays audible. It really sounds like the air pump going off at the wrong times, but I really I haven't a clue here. It couldn't be the fan?? Symptoms are the same as described and given how subtle it is, I think I'll just try to forget about it for awhile.

-Ed
Old 07-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Tags
850, converter, s70, sound, torque, turbo, volvo, whine, whining