Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Turbo issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Turbo issues

HI All,

I have just bought, very cheaply, a very high mileage 850 turbo sedan (1995).

It seems to have a number of issues that require attention, but rather than sinking in to major depression, I will just deal with them bit by bit, I could really do with advice though and have listed the problems below. My first and imminent hurdle will be getting through the MA emissions.

1. Smoke on start up, then runs without any smoke at all, just drove 280 miles, smoke at start, then smoke free all way back, runs nice too, no hesitation or roughness. Any idea's?

2. I can only get out of park by pressing the Shiftlock button, I understand from calling a Volvo dealer that this is in their experience usually a 'cleaning of the micro-switch' issue, not replacement, either way, where is the switch so I can clean it??

3. Drivers seat is sloped back in the 'Honda Civic' position fine if your 18, not so great if your 42, I found an article on here about cable issues, so I will use that, but if anyone has anything to add?

4. Assuming that the smoke at start up doesn't kill my emissions testing before I get started, I also have a CEL on, having had this diagnosed, is their anyway to reset on a pre 96 vehicle, and failing any intelligent way, can I just unplug the battery and let stand for 30 mins.

I apologise for all this, and no doubt more will come to my attention, but for now, that's that and I sincerely appreciate any advice given.

Thanks,

Mick

Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Default RE: 850 Turbo issues

Just a thought...........

If the Shiftlock thingy is an issue, is their a cheat way out of this, like for example, the button that over rides the switch lock, could that be wired in an 'on' position or something, so I dont keep having to depress it.

Ok forgive my ramblings, I think it might be possible to establish from them what a mechanical dimwit I am!!

Cheers,
Mick

Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The smoke at start up might be leaking valve seals or a turbo going bad.
Try heavier oil in the car.

2. Remove the center console to get to the switch.There is 2 t-25 torxes screws holding the cubby in the console in front of the shifter.Then under there is 2 t-15 screws.The other 2 t-25's are inside under the arm rest.Remove the little cover and remove the screws.
Once the center console is out then go to the passenger side.Look under the shifter assy.You will see a soleniod.Remove the plastic clip holding it in and slide it out.You will also have to slide the cable out some.
Then you should see the microswitch.In my opinion you should replace it.Cleaning has never worked for me.
You will have to cut one wire to replace it.The other wire you will have to slide out of the plug.

3.Follow the instructions and you should be good to go.

4. Follow the link to find out how to read and clear codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Hopefully this helps.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:39 AM

Thanks Tech,

I'll try the micro-switch replacement and given your advice, I'll replace rather than clean, any idea what these cost?

Finally and I apologize for labouring the point, how heavy an oil would you go, the funny thing is, and this supports what you say, I had the oil changed today and it seems worse. So, yes, please let me know what oil you'd use and I'll do it tomorrow.

Many many thanks

Mick

Old 05-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

I think the Microswitch is like $15.00 or so.

I would use 20/50 oil and that should clear it up most of the way if not all the way.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 AM

Thanks Tech!

Went to 20/50 and it cut out a lot of smoke, but I still see some blue, I was told that sticking synthetic in would remove that altogether, since it doesn't burn - fact or fiction??

So,

Bit of blue smoke
Seat cable
Micro Switch
Probably Rotors all around
Timing Belt looks new
Transmission shifts nicely
Engine pulls well and smoothly
Body pretty tidy and no rust
Interior good apart from seat

In a vague way, because thats all it can be, does that sound like a car you would put money in to or waving a quick goodbye to?

Old 05-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Synthetic oil will burn like normal oil.
Just keep an eye on it sounds like the turbo is getting old.

I would keep it!!!!

But that is just my opinion!!

Old 05-26-2005, 02:29 AM

I'm inclined towards keeping it and just going about things bit by bit, I tend to want everything running right though, so patience is probably the key here.

I think I mislead, synth will burn, but will it produce smoke, I was told no, The critical issue being that I will have to get it through emissions testing within the next few days.

When you say keep an eye on it, if the turbo self destructs, will it do damage to anything but itself? Should I try to pre-empt its final phase or just wait and watch its terminal act. I see secondhand units on ebay, well ok I saw one, would it be a NASA like job to install or could a dimwit such as I tackle it?

In the event of dry weather, or something close, I hope to do the seat cable and micro switch at the weekend, and that would make me feel a bit happier.

Oh.... one last question, mine is a 1995, did the 95 Turbo switch over to ODBII (if thats the correct spelling), or does it use the previous system, under the hood unit?

Tech, once again, I would like to utter my sincere thanks for all of your advice.

Cheers,

Mick

Old 05-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Administrator

The synthetic will smoke.If the turbo goes bad it stays contained to the turbo.
If it only smokes on start up you should be fine.Unless they turn it off and then start again.
The turbo's are really not that hard to replace as long as you have patience.

The 95 was a split year for OBDI and OBDII.If you have the box under the hood then that is what you have to use.If you don't have the box you have to use an OBDII scanner.If you have the black box follow the link to help you pull and clear codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/