Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

93 850 sunroof

Old 05-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 850 sunroof

I'm sending this out to anyone but especially hoping that JPN will see it (tried to send a PM but got a message saying it was undeliverable).

I have been searching through a number of posts regarding sunroof problems and I have come acrossJPN's responses to a few people wherehe talks about the scissor arm failing. I believe this is my problem. I have found on both sides that the plastic "arm" or "pivot" attached to the silver metal scissor has broken. I cleared out the broken pieces of plastic from the track, and the sunroof is sliding back and forth and up and down... for the moment. Murphy's law says it'll break if I keep using it.

JPN mentioned something about the track being replaced and I wondered what exactly that included... Does it include the silver metal arm as well? Is it a whole new track that runs inside the roof liner? I was thinking that because I like the car, I won't be too angry if I spend the money to buy the parts, but I'm just wondering what parts I would get for that roughly $100 pricetag.

If anyone else has more information on the sunroof, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 93 850 sunroof

>I'm sending this out to anyone but especially hoping that JPN will see it
I saw it!!!

Sorry about the pm not working; I disabled it because I once received a very negative-abrasive-rude- uncouth-inappropriate-offensive-upsetting-annoying-bothering-unpleasant-displeasing-unacceptable-evilmessage from a newbie, after I gave him sincere reply[8D]. But I may enable it and if I receive another one like that, I'll copy & paste it and post it here for everyone's pleasure.

Anyway, in my case, it was thetrack rail's plastic portionthat failed due to grease erosion, and the scissors mechanism seems to have been integrated to the track rail, which was approx. U.S $100 at the dealer, as far as I can remember, and I could not find one at on-line vendors. I did not replace mine, as my work visa was about to run out and did not have much time to deal with it.

To replace the track rail, you need to undo the entire sunroof mechanism from the inside of the car. This involves removal of a number of interior trim pieces that can easily crack. Also, the sunroof mechanism is extremely heavy and is definitely a two-men job. If I were you, I would have it done at a dealer. If you, however, would like to tackle it yourself, make sure to have the following supplies:

1. Parts illustration (go to a dealer and have the parts dept guy print one for you).
2. New track rail.
3. An assistant who does not argue while doing something important.
4. Various Torx bits.
5. Regular 6-point sockets & ratchet.
6. Thick cloth to cover seats & other interior items in case if the sunroof mechanism slips.
7. Be careful not to let it slip toward the windshield/rear glass. If it does, [8D][:@]will happen.

I'll attach 2 pics, but have to delete the Volvo manual within the next 7 days so please be sure to save it in your PC.

I hope this helps.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/186A818751AE46E18171AE05708CCC0B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 AM

Thanks for responding JPN... I did see those pics on one of the other posts and have also located that schematic in my copy of the shop manual. I was wondering if you or anyone else might have some more detailed instructions on how to drop the headliner and sunroof. I'm up to the task if I can find good instruction.

And if I'm reading your response correctly, you're saying that the scissor mechanism is part of the track? So that means if I order the track, I'd get the scissor part with it?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 AM
JPN

Hello again,

>So that means if I order the track, I'd get the scissor part with it?
I believe you do, at least according to the parts illustration I got from the dealer. But before you pay for the parts, make sure to double check on this. If the dealer has it in stock,let them show you the parts.

I'll give you the instruction, but please note that it's been a few months since I did it, so this won't be as thorough.

Before the procedure, you may have to remove the seats out of the car, as the sunroof assembly is too big to take out of the car. How did they install it? Well, I assume they inserted it through the windshield opening before they put the windshield. Or, you may flatten the seats at max reclined position but I would take them out of the car to avoid possible damage.

1. Remove sunroof glass.
2. Remove "A" pillar trim pieces. They're press-fit so be careful not to crack them.
3. Remove plastic handles above driver & passenger doors (10mm bolts x2 ea.).
4. Remove weather strip on the body, around the driver & passenger doors. They're press fit and you can just pull them out.
5. *Remove glare shield & all clips. To remove the clips, turn them about 45 degrees left and pull.
6. *Remove rear headliner clips by turning 90 degrees.
7. Remove sunroof opening frame. Be careful not to crack it. it is press-fit.
8. Remove driver & passenger seat belt cover trim pieces.
9. Remove everything else that is interfering with the headliner (courtesy lamp housing, etc...). Remember to be gentle when removing parts as they are fragile.
10. Remove sunroof shade, by undoing the springs. Be sure not to loose them.
11. Undo the drain hose clamps, at each corner (x4).
12. Undo 6-point bolts, not sure exactly how may were there. When you undo the last 2 bolts, be sure to have an assistant hold the sunroof assembly.
13. Lay the sunroof assembly on the floor and remove the track rail & replace with new unit.
14. Re-assembly is the reversal, of course. You may need to adjust the height of the glass when everything is done.

*Buy spares at a dealer. Approx $3-$5 ea.

This is the best I can do, without having the car handy. Make sure to get a few pages of parts illustrations from a dealer. If you act with courtesy & buy something cheap (key chain, O-ring, etc...), they should be happy to give you the printouts.

This may become a good one-day job, but don't hurry. Take your time and be careful whenever removing something. Many interior trim parts are press-fit, so gently pry them off.

The links below only seem to deal with the glass & shades and I could not find an instruction as to how to remove the entire assembly.
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/sunroof.php
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=6918

I hope this is of some use.

JPN

Old 05-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks very much... that helps a lot. I was just at the dealership today and found out that each track is $360 Cdn. I nearly puked. Gonna explore the possibility of a used track here shortly, just to see what I can see.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:26 PM
JPN

>I was just at the dealership today and found out that each track is $360 Cdn. I nearly puked.
[8D][:@]

((((;゚Д゚))) <$360 CDN...

EDIT: You may find one at a junkyard, but allow at least4 hours to take off the track rail from a junked vehicle. Or, if you still have the eroded/cracked plastic pieces, you may be able to repair with a tube of glue. Note, that the plastic is probably ABS, which is a different type of plastic and regular plastic glue does not work on ABS. I would try epoxy, but extreme care should be taken when dealing with epoxy, as it is one of the strongest adhesives on the planet (used plentiful on composite structures on aircraft).

I hope the sunroof comes back to normal soon. Let me know if I can be of further assistance, or other members may also know things I don't.

Cheers,

JPN