Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 850 stalling at random

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 850 stalling at random

Guys I need some help with my 850...after buying the car I replaced the distributor rotor and cap, fuel filter after experiencing some random stalling most of the times while car was at idle on red light or on stop and go traffic. After waiting about 15 minutes car runs again with no aparent problem. On highway and cruisisng at 70 mi problem does not occur. Before I replace the fuel pump that is a major cost...is there any other thing I could check...any sensors or electrical control that might cut power to fuel pump because that is what it feels like...car has no gas coming to fuel injection. I'm machanically challenged but I'll try to follow whatever advise I can get...Thanxs</P>

Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 AM

I have a '93 850 and had similar symptoms even after I replaced my pump. If your car also idles strange like, you may want to consider replacing the fuel pressure regulator. They are'nt very expensive, no more than a hundred bucks and you can order them through your local parts dealer. Replacing it is also simple. I know that the 93's regulator is right in front of the injectors. You'll need to disconnect your fuel line from the fuel rail (on top of your enigine, closer to the front). The regulator (chrome and about the size of a small fist)has a rubber hose attatched to it, you should remove this ahead of time. Oh yeah be ready with a towel for some fuel residual. Remove the screws that are holding your injector rail in place and then remove the rail with the injectorsin place, careful to keep the injector grommets (rubber washers or stops) seated in their place. You can now remove the regulator's screws and replace it with the new one. Get everything back together and start her up. It'll take a moment before it kicks in. If it doesnt turn over give it another shot.</P>

Good luck</P>

Old 12-02-2003, 04:44 PM

your problem is a clogged fuel filter. your symptoms are classic.</P>

replace that and your stalling problems will disappear.</P>

it is easy to do , just a little messy. $20 for the part.</P>

btw, it sit under the car below the rear passenger area i think. </P>

</P>

Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 PM

Thanxs for your advise...let me tell you guys how things developed...I replaced the fuel filter with no major problems and inexpensive part, at the same time I replaced the distributor cap and rotor just in case($50 for all parts)...problem persisted and went and bought the $195.00 fuel pump. With all my patience and after buying some tools ( I hate this star shaped screws) Isuccesfully replaced the fuel pump...still problems persists, and after a few stalls at the gate entrance of my condo, with public embarrasment...I get a check engine code, at present after visiting Swedish Motors, in North Miami Beach, they scanned at no charge (nice people) and I have two codes the cam position sensor and the air flow meter...bad news the AFM runs like $211, Ialso discovered the fresh air hose is cracked...spent $1.50 in tape and taped it to see if anything changed...so far so good...problem has desapeared but it was only this morning I did this. I'll keep the forum posted with progres...thanxs again

Old 12-22-2003, 01:02 PM

Finally after spending $180.- and replacing the CAM position sensor car is running with no problems. I think the air flow sensor report from the scanner was related to the cam sensor so I'll try and see if without replacing it things still work. By the way I have the fuel pump that I replaced and is in good working condition if anyone needs this part let me know. Now is time to star with some TLC on the body...need a front bumper cover and some minor cosmetics, I'll keep you posted with progress.

Thanks for your help