Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94 NA stalling, no start/hard start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 NA stalling, no start/hard start.

Ok, this is going to be a long story;I'm currently separated and living outside my home, meaning no manuals, no garage, and limited tools, no multimeter, and my on board diagnostics is down(not that I remember how to use it). Started out like this; driving on expressway car would briefly lose power for a second, service light would come on- then go off and I have full power everything fine. During this commute it began to a number of times. Eventually it would not catch, and my dash lights would all light up as I coasted to a stop. Sometimes it would start right back up and I would continue on to work. Now it has gotten worse, returning home I replaced the fuel filter, checked my distributor cap and rotor, I checked the fuel rail and get a splash of fuel out the shrader valve. When I turn the key to position II I hear my fuel pump working for a few seconds, so that appears fine, I disconnected the coil wire from the distributor at dusk to see if I was getting spark, I didn't see any so ordered a new coil & modual assembly, I have installed that and now when it starts it runs fine for perhaps 30 seconds to sometimes a few minutes and then dies. I do not see a check engine light, but I have previously when trying to restart. When it dies I hear the idle control valve buzzing and what sounds like vacuum near the intake for a second or two after the car dies. I do have an air pump. When it dies while driving only the tach needle drops.
Because I'm paying maintenance I would like to fix it myself, or pay for only what's needed at a shop, anyone have and idea what this could be? Or what I can do to diagnose? Or isolate this?

Old 08-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Question

OK! For some reason my OBDI unit worked! these were the codes; A2:223 A6:314, 324, 131, 214. apparently my signals from idle control valve, cam position sensor, R.P.M.(crankshaft position sensor) are absent or intermittent. What could this mean? I'm thinking bad connecters, or something? I'm wondering why the onboard OBDI started working also?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

lets fix the no manual problem first... A good URL to start with is:

Volvo 850 service & repair manual

There's a good section on some self diagnostics plus a wiring diagram. I assume you cleared the codes after viewing? If you've done that, which codes persist?

Time to google - Try "volvo 850 stalls while driving" and you'll fine a range of threads with similar issues - some suggest bad connections, others bad sensors. At least that will give you some ideas from a prior post that seems to match yours. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:34 PM

yes, after retrieving codes I have cleared them. As of this time I have not been able to start the car, therefor I've not looked if there are any codes.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have a junk yard around that you can grab parts? I am thinking this may be a ground issue or the ignition relay that is located right above the radiator on the right side closest to the battery.

Part # 3545803

Old 08-30-2015, 07:23 PM

Ok, a big thanks to mt6127 for the link, I am getting only one reacurring code; A6:314 CMP, and when I have had it started a couple of times after clearing codes, I placed my hand on the CMP and once it gets really warm the car dies. I don't know much about installing a new one, I'm going to try and look it up on here. Hopefully no special tools are needed. Boxpin, I checked and cleaned my ground straps as well as battery clamps. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hope thats it. Its just two torx bolts and it slides out. Check for oil, you may need to replace the seal while your in there.