Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Default 97 850 Turn Signal Problem

Hi All!
I have a 97 850 sedan that I am having problems with the left turn signals. Whenever I put the left turn signal on, it blows the fuse. It does not blow the fuse if I turn on the right turn signal. It blows the fuse if I turn on the 4 way e flashers. I have checked both front and rear turn signal bulbs and even replaced them with new ones. I have checked both front and rear turn signal bulb sockets and both look fine. If I replace the fuse for the turn signals with a circuit breaker type fuse, the right turn signals work fine but both the left turn signal and the 4 way e flashers cause the circuit breaker to continously blow and then reset for as long as I have either the left turn signal on or the 4 way e flashers on. I "think" I can smell a very slight burning smell coming from around and under the dash on the drivers side of the front seat. Very faint smell and I could be imagining the smell. Has anyone had this problem before? Any clues on where to look next? I hate to take it to the dealer and have them spend a bunch of time trying to figure it out.
Thanks for the help.
Michael
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Have you tried unplugging the front socket and trying it?
I would try that then if it blows the fuse unplug the rear assembly and see if that blows the fuse.
1994 N/A 5-speed wagon Purple (daughters)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Good tip from Tech. First find out if it is the front or rear section of the left signal blowing the fuse. You definitely have a short somewhere, once you find out which it is, you can start to find it
1983 Mercedes 300D 280K (diesel commuter)
1965 Corvair Corsa 98K (fun car)
Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Tags
850, blinker, blows, fast, fuses, glt, problem, problems, short, signal, signals, turn, turning, volvo, working