Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ABS/Trac..Lights on

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 AM
vol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS/Trac..Lights on

Hi all my name is Vol & I have a 854-R 1996, I have a a fault coming up on the dash board the Abs/trac light comes on now & again.. I does this three times a week or so.. could anyone Know how to deal with this problem..?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vol
Hi all my name is Vol & I have a 854-R 1996, I have a a fault coming up on the dash board the Abs/trac light comes on now & again.. I does this three times a week or so.. could anyone Know how to deal with this problem..?
Go to the dealership and get the codes pulled since a normal scan tool can't read ABS codes. Once you have the codes, come back and update us, unless we know what the codes are, there are countless things it could be and it wouldn't make any sense at all to just dive in without knowing what exactly is wrong.

Get codes pulled, let us know what the codes are, then go from there.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 AM
vol

Hi Gilber33 thanks for the information on the Garage, do you think that it would be expensive to have the codes pulled from a Volvo dealer..?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vol
Hi Gilber33 thanks for the information on the Garage, do you think that it would be expensive to have the codes pulled from a Volvo dealer..?
shouldn't be. only takes a few seconds.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Mine would come on at times and the ABS and traction control would kick on for no reason. It turned out the ABS sensors on the front wheels were filthy and there was some gunk on the ABS ring. After cleaning that, the light has not come on and the ABS/traction control has been fine.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:58 AM
vol

Thanks for the info about the wheel sensors, will check it out @ the wk-end will let you Know how I get on brianb =))

Old 04-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Do you have any speedo issues?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 AM
vol

Originally Posted by brianb
Mine would come on at times and the ABS and traction control would kick on for no reason. It turned out the ABS sensors on the front wheels were filthy and there was some gunk on the ABS ring. After cleaning that, the light has not come on and the ABS/traction control has been fine.
Hi brianb, vol here I did the ABS sensors, over the wk-end & the light on the dash went out but here today it came back on a couple of times ..? I did the back ones today..& they were really bad with build up off gunk & metal shavings, dont think that I have solved the problem..?

Last edited by vol; 04-24-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Wrong person that I quoted.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:44 AM
vol

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Do you have any speedo issues?
No issues with speedo.! Vol

Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Sounds like the ABS module is starting to die - they all do from the 850's. Here's a post on how to fix it yourself, if you choose.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...?p=46827#46827

If not, there's a few people that'll fix them for you much cheaper then a stealership - Matty Moo, for example: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...131380#p131380

Old 04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there is high probability that the module is bad, but speedo might also mis-behave, which MattyXXL was alluding to... Get the codes pulled first. Have you cleaned the wheel sensors and their toothed rotors? Any cuts or overextended wires at the front wheel-wells?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 AM
vol

Originally Posted by vjaneczko
Sounds like the ABS module is starting to die - they all do from the 850's. Here's a post on how to fix it yourself, if you choose.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...?p=46827#46827

If not, there's a few people that'll fix them for you much cheaper then a stealership - Matty Moo, for example: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...131380#p131380
Thanks for the info on the ABS module, also thanks for the links
will let you know how I get on..Vol

Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 AM
vol

Originally Posted by Henry10
Yes, there is high probability that the module is bad, but speedo might also mis-behave, which MattyXXL was alluding to... Get the codes pulled first. Have you cleaned the wheel sensors and their toothed rotors? Any cuts or overextended wires at the front wheel-wells?
Hi Henry10..last week I cleaned the wheel sensors, they were in a bad way with road gunk, & greasy resadue, now I see that you asked me did I clean there toothed rooters..? Is that were they slot back in to..? Last Saturday I took off the back wheel sensors & gave them a clean also, all lights stayed off since then , but last night I blew the horn on the car & the ABS/Trac light came straight back on..? As I says to, MattyXXL, I dont have any issues with the speedo+ all the wiring to the sensors has been cleaned & also checked for cuts, no problems with the wiring that is visable..?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by vol
Hi Henry10..last week I cleaned the wheel sensors, they were in a bad way with road gunk, & greasy resadue, now I see that you asked me did I clean there toothed rooters..? Is that were they slot back in to..? Last Saturday I took off the back wheel sensors & gave them a clean also, all lights stayed off since then , but last night I blew the horn on the car & the ABS/Trac light came straight back on..? As I says to, MattyXXL, I dont have any issues with the speedo+ all the wiring to the sensors has been cleaned & also checked for cuts, no problems with the wiring that is visable..?
Toothed rotors -- Volvo calls them "Sensor wheels". This is what the speed sensor reads off of. See # 22 on this diagram Drive shaft 5CYL 2WD. Fits: 850 | VolvoPartsWebstore.com

Having codes pulled does help, but if you don't have a cheap way to do this, you might want to go ahead and pull the module and check/repair that (if you DIY). '96-'97 modules consistently fail at their solder joints -- this was under-engineered and has been proven so.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
vol

Hi Henry10.. I was all over the car @ the wk-nd & I noticed that the back brake Pads
were nearly down to the metal..so I went to my Local Volvo dealer this morning got some New brake Pads & low & behold the ABS/Trac lights have gone out since fitting the New Pads.! Do you think that the wheel sensors were picking up the information..that the old Pads, were worn out.?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by vol
Hi Henry10.. I was all over the car @ the wk-nd & I noticed that the back brake Pads
were nearly down to the metal..so I went to my Local Volvo dealer this morning got some New brake Pads & low & behold the ABS/Trac lights have gone out since fitting the New Pads.! Do you think that the wheel sensors were picking up the information..that the old Pads, were worn out.?
ABS sensors do not read wear on the pads. Chances are -- technician blasted some Brake Clean spray at the toothed wheel and sensor and cleaned the gunk/rust. Ask the dealer...

Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM

+1

Probably a good idea to pull all the wheels and get at the 'ABS teeth' with a tooth brush to scrub 'em good.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM

The same thing happen to me with the dash lights coming on and it was the ignition.

Michael B Hasson
850 t5R

Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Default ABS/TRACS light

Originally Posted by vol
This happened to me on my 1994 850. I ususally unplug electricaal connectors and spray them lightly with wd-40 to clean up the contacts. this works most of the time and did with this problem. also should do the same with plugs leading to low current sensors.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by peterx2
This happened to me on my 1994 850. I ususally unplug electricaal connectors and spray them lightly with wd-40 to clean up the contacts. this works most of the time and did with this problem. also should do the same with plugs leading to low current sensors.
Hey there, this light situation just came on in my 94 850 as well... which electrical connectors are you talking about and how do I access them? Thanks

Quick Reply: ABS/Trac..Lights on