Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Aftermarket projector headlight aiming; available brands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket projector headlight aiming; available brands?

First of all, how many brands of aftermarket projector headlight assemblies (ie the entire housing) exist for a 1995 850? They all look like the same thing on the webstores.

Do all/any of these have the OEM type of aiming gear mechanism & bubble level built in to them?

They also seem to all incorporate the amber marker in their housing; but from the pictures it appears that the light won't throw sideways very well.

How much better beam (brightness, throw) do they give over the OEM housing using halogen bulbs (as opposed to paying extra for the HID)?

Also, The only one I seem to find is a Halo projector. I have no interest in the halo effect, so I don't want to pay for it... are there any without it?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as I know there is only one company that makes them and they are with the HALO in them as well.

You have to realize Volvo's are a niche market for aftermarket products, while we do have some companies that make some fine products we are nowhere near the market size that HONDA, TOYOTA, MAZDA, FORD, CHEVY, MERCEDES, BMW, VW, Etc... are.

As for the HALO's, I don't know how they are wired up but ask a seller like EuroSportTuning (EST) how they are wired up and if they can be deactivated so they don't run.

Black
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-850-ex

Chrome
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/me...Code=VL-850-ex

As far as Halogen's Vs. HID's you will see a difference from your OEM headlights to the projectors with the Halogen's no doubt about it. The beam pattern will be very different and you should see more light headed towards signs on the road to your right. Very helpful in nighttime driving.

****(I own a 1999 S70 AWD and have ABM projectors for it, what a world of difference they make! I also have HID's and that just enhances it more.)****

HID's are not expensive. SharpHID.com where I bought mine sells them very cheap. Their 35w system is $65 and their 55w system is $80. Great prices for a good quality product. No reason not to go HID if you plan to get projectors, you'll be very happy. http://www.sharphid.com/hid35w55w.htm

As for the orange reflector good luck. Doubt you can find any without it here in America. However I did find them, stroke of luck. Realcar is a foreign website of aftermarket products for cars including Volvo. If you go to their site it is in their foreign language and you can reset it for English.

1. On the left scroll down to VOLVO.
2. Click on VOLVO.
3. Scroll down to 800.
4. Scroll down to LJUS & BLINKERS
**They are located in there. They have the Black and Chrome versions without the orange reflector.** FYI good luck ordering from them and nevermind the importing cost it's going to be crazy.

Chrome (The link, even though a direct link may not take you to the product.)
http://www.realcar.se/servlet/us_pyr...loginguest&p=H

Last edited by S70driver; 04-25-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks. So Angel Eyes is the name brand.

I have see what must be knockoffs described as "halo projector" that come with halogen, or with HID for a lot more money. I'll have another troll around the web and give an example...

Old 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM

And what about aiming them? Is it convenient like the OEM, or do you have to reach behind & fiddle with the bulbs somehow?

I like the amber color turn/marker, I'm just want to know that it does throw light sideways.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Here's an example of what seems to be the same design, with several HID options:

http://www.dashzracing.com/Lighting-...-p5632892.html

The passenger reflector has gone bad, so my choices seem to be a new OEM style assembly plus HID bulb kit because I'm not satisfied with the OEM halogen, or bite the wallet & get projector assemblies... maybe with HID.

I would _try_ painting it with the best metallic modeler's paint, but masking that black metal thing in the outside dish would be a real PIA.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 850forum
Here's an example of what seems to be the same design, with several HID options:

Anyone had any experience with these? The price seems right to me. I wasnt really digging the look of these at first, but the more I drive my car at night, the more I realize I want HID projector beams like these.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM

Just received my projector headlights with HID upgrade.

problems:
1) the headlight housing has a sticker that says "NO XENON HID -- HID bulb not allow. voids warranty."

2) The HID instructions say not to switch on the headlights until the car is started. This can't be true for OEM headlight systems; being able to illuminate without the engine on is a pretty basic safety requirement. Any advice on this?

Hookup:
3) . The control box has one harness coming out of it; two wires, one male & one female connector. One white wire, one blue. These apparently go to the bulb wiring harness. What color is negative? The bulb wires are normal red & black. Given the male/female matchup, its blue to black, and white to red. Correct?

4) Then a dual-connector wiring harness from the bulb goes into the female port on the ballast, correct?

5) the bolt holes to attach the housing to the car have some rather thick (1/4" ?) foam washers taped over them. Not sure if that is simply to protect the threaded hole, or if I'm supposed to use the washers during the installation.

6) There is no gear mechanism for aiming. How am I supposed to aim this headlamp assembly? Does the name brand have an aiming gear, as opposed to this brand?

The brand name embossed on the housing is SONAR. Made in Taiwan.

Last edited by 850forum; 05-04-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought these lights from dashzracing...there is NO way to adjust the lights sid to side..ONLY vertically. On each assembly you will see 2 round silver looking things with 3 holes in them..those are the adjusting points. I found them to be very difficult to get to and also...very difficult to turn. The one on the top is the vertical adjuster..the one on the bottom is the horizontal adjuster, but you can't adjust it...I tried to adjust either way and the light just stayed there, didn't move.

The customer service was lousy too....I e-mailed them a question about adjustment and they never did answer my question..just a pat answer. All they do is sell them..they \don't know a thing about tech help.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the adjustment info. Did you manage to aim them sufficiently accurately?

Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM

First installation problem:

In the headlamp assembly, the red & black wires connected to the original bulb have female spade connectors, both the same size.

The HID lamp assembly has blue & black wires with male spade connectors.

The black wire male spade connector is a SMALLER size. It does not fit tightly into the larger female connector.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM

make it fit. Problem solved, haha.

As for adjustment, they should be the same as OEM except you cannot do it from the top. You need to do it from the rear.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Called Dash & a human answered the phone promptly. He got an HID from the shelf & said thats they way they are. So he will pass on to management the info that you need to snip off the small & attach a large female connector with this particular headlamp assembly. I suggested they include a pair in their kit, or at least mention in the ad that the connectors might need to be replaced.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Second installation problem:

I can't get the HID wiring harness thru the dust cover supplied with the headlight assembly. I'm going to have to puncture or carve into the soft rubber dust cover. I rather expected a complete kit not a couple of parts I have to modify to make work together.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Puncture is the only way to go. that's what i did

Old 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM

OK, second one will be neater... The HID harness passes thru a very nice rubber grommet with a flange. So I tried to cut a round hole in the dust cover to use that flange. But the wiring going thru the rubber dust cover is in the way... had to make a slit for that wire to move sideways.

Use cuticle scissors for accuracy. Using a sharp razor knife will first stretch, then suddenly give way, resulting in a cut much large than intended.

Also the grommet is is delicate; I was pulling it thru the tight hole and it ripped.

So now I need some silicone sealant... maybe window caulk?

Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM

No need to seal it. I never did. Hell, my current lenses aren't even sealed and I've never had a problem with condensation.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Let alone moisture; I don't want dust getting onto the reflectors or back of the projector lens.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Touche, Well.. figure it out. You're smart Haha

Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Problem number 3:

There are three pairs of small gauge black & red wires coming out of the headlight assembly.

I can imagine that two of them are for the "angel eyes" glow rings. But the turn signal does not appear to have a ring. So what is the 3rd set for?

I suppose these are just 12v and I can wire them to my choice of a separate switch or the old low beam power or the turn signal power ???

Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 PM

shouldve purchased off ebay...its cheaper...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket projector headlight aiming; available brands?