Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Question

What is the cheapest quality synthetic automatic transmission fluid that meets or exceeds Volvo fluid our cars come with. Basically i dont want to spend $18 per quart for Volvo fluid. However i want to put something that is as good and cheaper.

Here are a few i have read about.......

1) Valvoline Max ATF
2) Mobil 1 ATF
3) Amsoil ATF

Would i even be able to use Honda ATF? I have some leftover from the Honda i sold

Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Automatic Transmission Fluid Question

You have to use Dexron III I know that much if your car is older than 99, but not sure what brand is better than others. I bought mine at Walmart and I bought it by the gallon instead of by the quart. I think it was around $20 a gallon.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Cool. I think i will check Wal Mart tonight and see what they have.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

I'm not sure if synthetic gearbox fluid provides any benefit, it may or may not. I've never used them so I cannot say it's good or bad.

As to the fluid type, always follow the owner's manual or ask at Volvo dealer. But since your cars is 850, you need Dexron-III/Mercon. The owner's manual maycall forDexron-IIE, but IIE has been superseded by III. Also, correct fluid level is just as important as the type. Do not overfill/underfill.

I use Coastal regular fluid, about $2 a bottle.

Good luck,

JPN

Old 02-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought their branded Dexron-III/Mercon fluid in the gallon containers. I bought three gallons plus two quarts. I think their's was $10 a gallon. My reasoning?

Advance Auto Parts has Havoline make all of their lubricants. Thus, I know it meets specifications and is from a reputable manufacturer. Plus, I plan on changing it every 18-20k, so at $35 per flush, it's a good deal. - AB

Old 02-15-2007, 02:10 PM

The $18 per quart ATF from your Volvo dealership is Mobil 3099 designed for 5-speed automatic transmissions used in 1999 and newer model years. Even though it can be used in transmissions for older model years -- it is not synthetic. it is too expensive.

I use regular Valvoline Dexron III -- same as used by local Volvo dealership.

Many folks prefer Mobil - 1 ATF and AMSOIL ATF.

Don't power flush. Let the automatice transmission flush itself. Some folks prefer the transmission flush kit from IPD -- other folks make their own flush kit from parts at the local hardware store.
http://www.ipdusa.com/ProductsCat.as...549&RootID=629
http://www.ipdusa.com/pdf/PI-290TrannyFlushKit.pdf

Here are procedures...

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=8767
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=8742

Old 02-15-2007, 02:14 PM

in my shop we use Amsoil ATF. The stuff is very good and since you only get about 3 quarts out of a drain and fill it's good to have quality fluid.
On a side, what fluid changing intervals are you following for your trans?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: volvo4mula

in my shop we use Amsoil ATF. The stuff is very good and since you only get about 3 quarts out of a drain and fill it's good to have quality fluid.
We're talking doing a true flush, not just a drain. The manual states to change it every 20k. - AB

Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: B1mmer

ORIGINAL: volvo4mula

We're talking doing a true flush, not just a drain. The manual states to change it every 20k. - AB
Yes, but the OP never said he was doing a flush. Even still most volvos do not specify a 20k change interval. There has been much ado about the fact that they recommend on some cars not to do any thing till between 70-100k. Most of my first time customers have 70k or more and haven't had any transmission flushes or drain and fills done and they followed the factory recommended intervals at the dealer. Changing the fluid every 20k is a good habit and if followed flushes won't be nessecary but it is not in the factory service recommendations.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM

I want to just drain it one time and fill it, then drive it around for a while ten drain it again upto 3-4 times. By the way, where exactly is the tranny drain plug? Thanks for the above info. i Think i might go ahead and use Valvoline Max ATF.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The drain plug is not that hard to find. It's on the drivers side and it's a big drain plug. You can't miss it. What I did with my V70 was jack it up and put it on jack stands with the wheels about 2 inches off the ground. Then I drained and refilled three times starting it and running it through all the gears for about 30 second in each gear. Leave the drain plug just finger tight until the final fill. On the 850 it's been just drained and filled every 20K. I did not know the history on the V70 so that's why I did it that way. I used Penzoil Dexron III.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM

FYI it's a 24mm nut.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 PM

I saw the penzoil fluid in Wal-mart but was unsure about buying it since i have read bad reviews about their engine oils.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:13 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again,

The following may be of a reference to you:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php

The drain plug is on the bottom of the gearbox, facing sideway. You can't really miss it.

I personally think flushing with a kit would be easier than draining, driving, and draining again. As to the service interval, I personally do it at every 30,000 miles or so. No scientific reasons behind it, it's just what I feel comfortable with.

Good luck.

JPN

Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Default ATF for Volvos

I know this thread is really old, but if you found your way here.

Aisin Warner is owned by Toyota and found in Toyotas.
By Toyota ATF Type IV. It's around $7-8 at the Toyota dealer.
Works like a charm.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morlanda
I know this thread is really old, but if you found your way here.

Aisin Warner is owned by Toyota and found in Toyotas.
By Toyota ATF Type IV. It's around $7-8 at the Toyota dealer.
Works like a charm.
Yes, BUT NOT ALL VOLVO TRANSMISSIONS ARE AISIN WARNER'S. Some are GM transmissions. For the sake of avoiding transmission damage make sure to check your owners manual for the exact Volvo spec and then match it up with something on the shelf. Yes, the Aisin Warner's spec is the same as Toyota's Type T-IV, as is Mobil 3309. The reason Valvoline MaxLife (what I have been using for my '02 S-60) works is because it is compatible with the specific fluid spec listed in my owners manual, but the 1999-2005 S-80's all had GM's 4T65E auto transmission in them, so that fluid is a different spec than what goes in the Aisin Warner. One thing really nice about the Valvoline MaxLife is they somehow managed to make it meet lots of different specs, but you still have to do your homework.