Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Coolant Disappearing + Interior Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Disappearing + Interior Coolant Smell

I've recently discovered that my coolant slowly disappears. Each week to two weeks the coolant light comes on periodically, resulting in a coolant reservoir top off. The interior of the car also smells of coolant when the heat is on full blast. I'm unable to see if the smell still occurs on low heat due to a resistor problem (I think). I have a resistor ready to go, just waiting on some nice weather to install it. There are no visible leaks coming from the engine at all. I have done some research on possible causes and have come up on many ideas. Is it safe to say that I should start with replacing the heater core?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the heater core but don't assume that's what it is. You may have a small enough leak that the carpet isn't wet yet. Pull the access cover off and ck it out first. Easy to do...

If it is the heater core, this is fairly easy job to DIY; lot of good info out there. Recommend going with OEM core too.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 AM

Also If your going to do the job your self I would order the Heater Hose Junction Coupler, just to be safe. there is a possibility that it may break while taking the core out, And if it doesnt break you will have it to replace it while the core is out.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Its going to be a heater core. If its not leaking in the car. Then it is more than leaking out the water drain. I have seen coolant run down the under side of the car and leak by the RR tire.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
Most likely the heater core but don't assume that's what it is. You may have a small enough leak that the carpet isn't wet yet. Pull the access cover off and ck it out first. Easy to do...

If it is the heater core, this is fairly easy job to DIY; lot of good info out there. Recommend going with OEM core too.
The carpet hasn't got wet yet, but it wreaks of coolant when the heat is on. Wednesday I plan on installing the parts I ordered from IPD, so I'll take a look check behind the access cover. I'll probably go ahead and order the heater core which I plan in installing myself. Maybe I can get one by Wednesday. Thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Also If your going to do the job your self I would order the Heater Hose Junction Coupler, just to be safe. there is a possibility that it may break while taking the core out, And if it doesnt break you will have it to replace it while the core is out.
Thanks, I'll go ahead and order that as well when I order the heater core.

Originally Posted by B5234T4
Its going to be a heater core. If its not leaking in the car. Then it is more than leaking out the water drain. I have seen coolant run down the under side of the car and leak by the RR tire.
The only thing I didn't want it to be was a head gasket problem. There are wet marks on dry pavement after the car has been turned off, but it's hard to tell what it is right now due to all the snow melting and the car picking up that moisture. Thanks for the help!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Also when replacing the core and coupler, is the replacement of the two heater hoses recommended?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have not heard anyone doing that but it may not be a bad idea if you plan to keep the car a few more years.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I have not heard anyone doing that but it may not be a bad idea if you plan to keep the car a few more years.
Though the car has high mileage, I'd like to have it at least a few more years. I may order both hoses then.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't found it already here's a good heater core R+R thread:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-core-install/

Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by gdog
If you haven't found it already here's a good heater core R+R thread:
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-core-install/
Thank you. I'll definitely use that one along with the one on MVS. I ordered the heater core, coupling, both heater hoses, and o-ring kit from FCP. I doubt they'll be in by tomorrow, so I'll have to wait until spring break next week to tackle this.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks to all of thise who have helped with this issue. I finallt got the core, coupling, and hoses in. I have yet to crank the heat, but hopefully the stench isn't there. The only problem I'm having is with the bottom heater hose; it's not clipping into the coupling. I have it in there as far as it goes in hope that it doesnt fall out or leak. I've tried "jellying" it up, but it still won't clip in. I'm going to keep checking it to see if it will budge.

This is definitely a job that I don't want to do again lol.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM

Your talking about where the hoses go into the coupler on the inside of the firewall?

If so.. try loosening the connection of those hoses on the bottom of the core.. this should give you enough play to clip them in. then tighten the core end up.

That part drove me crazy for 2 hours... I went to bed and the next morning "click", right in 30 seconds.. Sometimes you just need to walk away and take a break..

Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Your talking about where the hoses go into the coupler on the inside of the firewall?

If so.. try loosening the connection of those hoses on the bottom of the core.. this should give you enough play to clip them in. then tighten the core end up.

That part drove me crazy for 2 hours... I went to bed and the next morning "click", right in 30 seconds.. Sometimes you just need to walk away and take a break..
Yeah. The top hose went in without a problem. The bottom one on the other hand is giving me a hard time. At 7:00 is was time to clean up and be done for the day. I'm going to tackle it now before work. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:18 AM

Same prob with mine... just try what I said, and remember sometimes a bigger hammer isnt always best... LOL...

Old 03-18-2011, 12:09 PM

Same prob with mine... just try what I said, and remember sometimes a bigger hammer isnt always best... LOL...
I gave it a shot... nothing. The bottom hose sticks out a little bit more than the top, and it takes some force to pull it out. I filled thecar back up with coolant, let it run, and blasted the heat; there's not leaks coming from the hose. After driving it today to and from work, I'll take a look to see if there's any leakage.

I'll also have to wait for a day I have off to get down there again. I only had time to loosen the hoses at the core and try, and get my new blower resistor in. I didn't want to have a mess of coolant an hour before work.