Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Exhaust Manifold S60R vs 850 & Turbo problamo

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold S60R vs 850 & Turbo problamo

I got the turbo and exhaust manifold off the other night...been taking it kinda slow as i figure out what all i'm going to do in terms of upgrading/rebuilding (and trying to figure out how to pay for it all....it's adding up FAST)

I decided to change my exhaust manifold over to one from an S60R, to get a bit better flow...i'm going to have it ported and polished most likely,(along w/ the head, and intake, maybe turbo too). I just picked it up from the dealer today and am noticed some differences that i wasn't expecting.

1) No port for the EGR valve line... i got part #30687321, which i did confirm was from an S60 R. But there were 2 other possible part numbers... not sure which ones off the top of my head, but i think they were for different model years (though 2002, 02-05, and 05 and on).

Do any of these have EGR ports?

Seems to me that by not pumping the hot exhaust gas back into the intake, that would be beficial so the fresh air isn't heated unnecessarily...i'm sure i can find some way to block off the port on the intake for the EGR valve. I'm just worried about not plugging in the E-connector for that valve...seems like it would throw a Check Engine Light code...unless the valve could be plugged and just hanging there.

2)Heat sheild attachment points look like they're in a different location. I'm wondering if i'll also have to buy new heat shields or if i can use the old ones..

other than that, i'm happy to have it! i took my old one into work and sand blasted it...got it pretty cleaned up, but also noticed what looked like the beginning of a crack in the flange that connects to the turbo...starting from around the internal 'diverter fin' thinggys
I'll post some pics later, but i'm thinking it's on its' way out so no reason not to upgrade it now...

Onto the Turbo... It definitely has some in and out shaft play. So i'm thinking a rebuild is needed...at a minimum. Kinda thinking of maybe upgrading the compressor wheel. Someone suggested that going to a Super60 wheel would get it close to the performance of and 18T. Not doing it myself obviously, but sending it out to make sure it gets done properly. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to send it? Any idea of the cost for just a rebuild?

My buddy (who knows turbos much more than i do) said it looked like there may be a tiny crack starting on the inside of the housing...on the exhaust/turbine side... Not quire sure what to do about that...if the housing is gonna be scrapped, maybe it makes more sense to buy a new turbo all together... I can get a new one from the dealership for close to 600 (have a discount through work).

hmm...what else.. oh yea, my IPD ecu showed up today...bought a used one. Hoping it wasn't for nothing, if i get a different turbo setup, it's not gonna be tuned for that

Guess that's it for now...long post i know. just gotta figure out a lot of stuff before i go much further.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Manifold S60R vs 850 & Turbo problamo

I would check the IPD computer some have a EGR delete as part of the program.
If so then no worries just delete teh EGR.

I would search for a used turbo or find a Deisel shop that rebuilds turbo's and have them inspect it.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 PM

Here's some pics, These are the Exhaust gasket(s) that came off...to me, it looks like 2 sets of gaskets were on each cylinder. I was wondering if they were just a multilayer part that separated, or if there are really 2 sets...

Name:  IMG_1611.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1634.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  77.5 KB

Something else i was wondering... I think it's the oil return line from the turbo... but mine was just pressed into the block and had a bunch of black silicon looking stuff used to seal it up. Is that the right way to do it? is this gunk somethin i have to get from the dealership?

Name:  IMG_1624.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

The gasket is normal forgot to post before. They are metal and other material. They all are like that.

The turbo return line is not normal at all. Someone was just trying to patch to stop it from leaking.
There is an o-ring that goes on the pipe. Then the pipe just slides into the hole and seals.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:09 PM

good to know about the oil return line...it looks like i was leaking a bunch of oil around that area. The seal should be serviceable right? Hoping i don't need to buy a new line too.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

The seal and gasket I believe are less then $10.00 at the Dealer.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM

Tech is dead on about the Diesel shops. I got a rebuild kit for an RX-7 turbo and took it to them and for less than $100 they bead blasted it and put it all together and it looked and felt brand new. Went out on me originally at 60k miles and after their rebuild I was still going at 200k. I took it apart myself initially but was worried about busting the little carbon seal on the intake shaft side and took it to the diesel shop. They fixed me all up.
There are some places out in Ca. that rebuild them but someplace local is probably just as good.

Good luck with it.