Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

exhaust sytem really loud tonight/smell of burnt rubber??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust sytem really loud tonight/smell of burnt rubber??

Hi guys, was driving my car tonight and felt a lot more vibrations coming from inside the cabin..when i got home, the car was idling, i opened my door and smelt burnt rubber again, i gave a few shots of the accel. and there was a lot of vibration coming from underneith...i'm not sure where to begin??? can it be the cat? or where the end of the cat and the rest of the exhaust meet? any help would be great.thanks
fabs

Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: exhaust sytem really loud tonight/smell of burnt rubber??

I would check all the rubber hangers and make sure one didn't break and was hitting on the exhaust pipe.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 AM

We had a similar instance last night as well. Started the car. Loud vibrations but it was coming from the tensioner pulley and an even thin wall of smoke rose up from the back of the engine compartment and it stunk of burnt rubber. I shut off the engine, pulled the exhaust manifold cover off looked around and didn't see anything that was rubber. We were careful not to catch or pinch anything while putting the engine back in the car earlier this week.

I restarted the car with the cover off and it ran smooth with the exception of the pulley rattling. The replacement pulley will be installed later today. But after I turned the car off again I smelt a faint burnt rubber smell again.

I am curious to know what you find out. If I find the bugger I will let you know.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:19 AM

Hi guys, i'll let you know...i know what the vibration from the heat shield is like and i don't think it's that...
I was thinking it might be the clamp where the cat and muffler meet...from the cat to the tailpipe...where exactly are the different attachment points for the tubing? all i think i've seen is the clamp btwn cat and muffler...and one attachment at the tailpipe(they're not rubber hangers, but a sloid metal strap coming down and attaching the tailpipe)..let me know.thanks guys
fabs

Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

They should be rubber hangers between the body and tailpipe. There should also be some holding the muffler on as well I believe 2.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM

UPDATE***
So i got home and place the rear tires up on the ramps, started the car (was still hot) and looking underneither, i gave a few shots of the trottle and felt around i found the problem...I put my fingers around the cat and found there was a good leak coming from. so you have the downpipe....begining of cat. then the cat (fat part) and where it gets smaller and the piping continues towards the back..wwell where it gots smaller and the 2.25 inch tubing continues...it seems to be cracked along the seam....so what is the best approach? should i get it welded at the seam or change the cat out completly and put a universal one or change the WHOLE cat/down-pipe all together??? thanks
fabs

Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Administrator

I would try to get it welded first.