Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump/Fuel Pump Relay

1996 850glt non turbo automatic. Before I spend about 300 hundred something on a new fuel pump, could a faulty fuel pump relay cause the car not to start and I would just have to buy a new one? What is the easiest way in checking the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump and what are the symptoms of both if they were bad. I had a mechanic check the fuel pump and he unscrewed some tube on the left side of the engine right around where the V in Volvo is at left of the oil cap and while cranking the car, no gas was spraying out and the car had about 2 in half gallons of gas. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad, or could this also mean the fuel relay is bad causing this? What's the best thing I could do? Thanks for reading this post, appreciate the help.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, there is about 40 recent post about stalling, fuel pumps, fuel pump relays, etc. Read a few post and learn how to jump the relay.

If the mechanic disconnect the wrong fuel line you would not see a spray of fuel. Matter of fact, I hope you stop calling that person a mechanic due to the fact that there is a valve on the end of the fuel rail that he could have used to check for fuel pressure but didn't even notice it or check there.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spidersilva
1996 850glt non turbo automatic. Before I spend about 300 hundred something on a new fuel pump, could a faulty fuel pump relay cause the car not to start and I would just have to buy a new one? What is the easiest way in checking the fuel pump relay, and the fuel pump and what are the symptoms of both if they were bad. I had a mechanic check the fuel pump and he unscrewed some tube on the left side of the engine right around where the V in Volvo is at left of the oil cap and while cranking the car, no gas was spraying out and the car had about 2 in half gallons of gas. Does this mean the fuel pump is bad, or could this also mean the fuel relay is bad causing this? What's the best thing I could do? Thanks for reading this post, appreciate the help.
Fuel pump relay is located under fuse box. To check relay jump pin 18 and 57. If the pump works then you know it is relay. Very common issue.

CORRECTION: THE RELAY PINS ARE 15 & 87. THE SOCKET SLOTS ARE 1 & 3.

Last edited by rspi; 02-12-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM

You need to make sure you have spark. If the engine isn't running or you have a no spark condition the pump will only prime itself and shut off.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Have someone turn the key to crank the engine and you smack the fuel tank from underneath on the side of the fuel filler! If it starts needs a pump if not maybe relay! My pump just died on me two weeks ago!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Better yet, lower your rear right seat so you can hear your pump. Its right behind that seat. Then just sit in the car and be very quiet....turn on the key and listen. You should hear the fuel pump prime and build pressure then stop. About 1-3 seconds. If it runs your relay and pump are functioning. From there you need to check pressure at the rail and spark.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM

boxpin, don't want to beat a dead horse...on second thought...yes I do Just FYI no offense intended, my FP relay would work most of the time but then fail all of a sudden, even going 70 down the highway.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Rickford, no problem. Each of us have our own stories that help others. In my case I lost my fuel pump. All of a sudden on a normal drive I made a right turn and then about 25mph it shut off, then back on again after about a second. I just was thinking...what was that. Then a day or two went by and it did it again, on the freeway. A few days later I drive to an auto parts store some 15 miles from my home, it runs fine. Shut it off, go in the store, return to the car....dead.

So we see here, similar symptoms produced, one from the relay and other from the pump. In this case the car is not starting so doing my little ditty in sense tests both the relay and the pump at the same time. I want to note here that before I replaced the pump I check if there was power to the pump with a test light connected at the pump. Clear cut in my case, power was there and the pump was not running. If he hears it he still needs to check the pressure at the rail. Even though the pump may be running there might not be enough pressure to atomize the fuel.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Just go down to the local parts store and order the Fallopian tube repair kit! It will fix it every time....LOL!!!! Haha! So have you fixed this thing or what??? Inquiring minds want to know, pump or relay???