Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Gas peddle making the car shake and nearly shut off

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas peddle making the car shake and nearly shut off

recently I had to get a new maf sensor in my 96 Volvo 850 glt because when I would get into 4th gear the car with start jumping and shaking but it was completely fine after I had it replaced. Then about two weeks later on my way to work check engine light came on and the engine fan was running after the car was turned off. Went to get in it after work to drive home and it wouldn't move. The temp gauge shot right up to half as soon as I turned the car on and when I would press the gas peddle the car would shake and bog out like it was gonna shut off.

Also I use the oxgord obd2 scanner but no codes came up. Anyone have an idea on what might be wrong?

Last edited by GabeCantolina!; 01-01-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Left out what type of car I had
Old 01-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If the temperature gauge reads high when the engine is totally cold, then that is a pretty easy diagnosis. The gauge is controlled by the ECU using the coolant temperature sensor. You'll need to replace the sensor.

4th-gear-only shaking is usually plug wires.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Old 01-05-2017, 07:14 PM

I watch Robert a ton he's been a lot of help to my Volvo and I. I Just cleaned the hell out of my throttle body two days ago. Ordered a new throttle position sensor, thermostat, and coolant temperature switch that same day. Gonna replace all of those and I got new gaskets as well for the throttle body and thermostat housing body then see if it'll fire up. If not I'm having it towed to the garage.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 PM

ok so as i stated above i ordered all of those parts. an engine coolant temp sensor, thermostat, and throttle position sensor. still won't start, it cranks but won't start at all. any other ideas on what could be wrong? p.s. it ran great right before this happened this isn't a car I'm trying to bring back from the dead haha. any help would be great thanks.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

the temp sensor shouldn't cause a no start - not sure about the throttle position sensor but if you replaced that, you may want to swap back in the old one or check the connection on the new one. Otherwise you need to go back to basics - ie got spark? got fuel pressure?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
the temp sensor shouldn't cause a no start - not sure about the throttle position sensor but if you replaced that, you may want to swap back in the old one or check the connection on the new one. Otherwise you need to go back to basics - ie got spark? got fuel pressure?
Well originally it was running rough at idle, hesitation is accelation, and temp gauge was being weird which is why I replaced those. The engine fan would also stay on for 6 minutes after I shut the car off and remove key. This then caused my battery to die and since I haven't been able to get it started even with a jump. I just put a volt meter on it and got 11.34. Do you think it could simply just be I have a bad battery? I wouldn't understand why though it would start up fine prior to all this happening, STILL start after rough hesitation a few times but eventually killed off by the fan. I don't know why it wouldn't take a jump though. And when I do turn the key it cranks when I have cables on it but the interior light shut off and come back on when I stop trying to start it. I do have fuel pressure in the rail, I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on position. Currently a one man band so haven't been able to check for spark but I do hear the tick when I try to start as well

Last edited by GabeCantolina!; 01-13-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Left out info