Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Having trouble finding the right right security system

Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble finding the right right security system

Im interested in finding an alarm system with remote start and keyless entry all built into to one control for my '97 850. Is this technology available for this vehicle? Is there a consensus for superior products for the volvo. Ive only been able to find alarms with remote starts and separate systems for keyless. Maybe im looking in the wrong places because I dont know any better but I am assuming this tech is available. My main concern is to be able to have one remote on my key chain to control all of those functions. If you have an 850 and your system works good let me hear about to help determine what I am going to buy.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Directed Electronics is what I would go with. They have remote start systems that have been, in my experience (both in selling them and in personal use) to be pretty darn near bullet proof. you can add keyless entry to pretty much any of their systems.

http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProducts/

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I am sorry but I am going to disagree here. We are now in my world. I happen to be an MECP Master Installer. I have been in Car Audio for 17 years and been the Manager of several Installation facilities. Unfortunately I have come to not care for Direct Electronics products. They are cheap and carry nothing on board meaning you have wire everything externally via relays. If you want a good reliable product you should consider this when your searching. I have always been partial to Clifford Alarm products, their higher end stuff and can even control it with an IPhone. It contains onboard relay systems. I am not saying that DE products wont work they just have cool names and for some reason it has attacted a lot of interest in their products.
You can add any alarm system to your car. The leading problem with false alarms is the shock sensor. In my own cars I do not use a shock sensor. I feel if they are going to get into my car they will have to open a door eventually. I have had ZERO false alarms and I mean ZERO. Your greatest deterent is that flashing light on your dash. If there are two cars side by side and one has a blinking light. The other is going to be the target.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM

Boxpin: how long has it been since you used DEI stuff? They're all internal now - no external relays, unless you have to add a key bypass. I guess it's just a difference of opinion here, but I have had DEI systems and sold hundreds of them, and they almost NEVER come back with issues. You can also control most of their systems through an IPhone.

As for Clifford: you DO know that they are owned by Directed Electronics, right? The primary difference between CLifford systems and Viper systems are the window stickers you get in the box.

Last edited by ibified; 01-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

ibified, I love you man. I am old school and have not been in the industry for 10 years. I had my glory days but it looks like its fading. I bow.
If what you are saying is true then improvements have been made. If Clifford is owned by DEI then I am sure it is a conspiracy and they are going to take over the world.

I was working at The Good Guys the night this happened, lost some friends that evening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXnDrdov9w

Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM

I remember back in the day when Clifford was the good stuff too. Today though, it seems that DEI definitely has different "levels" of quality, with Viper and Clifford being at the top.

You're lucky to be out of the industry. lol you picked the right time to go into it and go out of it. Today it's a giant pain in the rear. Too many screwy things with cars now that make installing a pain in the rear.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Ibified, Boxpin . . . Thanks for the pow-wow and with noone else puttin up any change Im guessin im going to look for a DE product. From the sounds of it - Boxpin is your sales shill and you two are in cahoots, Lol. So anyway where Is your guys online store LOL Im hittin up your link right now.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 AM

Hey, don't take my word for anything, or boxpins. Not that im not a trustworthy person, or that he isnt, but im just saying do some research on things. DEI is by far the largest automotive elctronics company in the business, and a lot of people love them. But, as you see, others do not. There are plenty of options out there - just don't buy an ebay special....you generally get what you pay for on auto electronics.

I've seen the aftermath of WAY too many people with ebay systems that come into shops half installed, because the person who bought them has NO clue how to install them. A lot of times, even when they get installed right, they dont work right, if they work at all. then the seller claims you damaged the unit in installation and you are screwed. your best option is to get a decent system and have it installed by a professional. They know what they are doing, know where everything goes, and know how to wire everything so that it stays attached and is hidden.

trust me here....you'll be happy if you go that route.