Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

headlight replacement, 95 850 What to buy? Single/dual bulb

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default headlight replacement, 95 850 What to buy? Single/dual bulb

I have a 95 850 2.3T with the dual bulb headlights. One glass lens is broken and both reflectors are shot. Since the lenses can be removed I did and tried to clean up the reflector and ended up taking off the silver reflector material.

( 1) Does anyone have a supplier, brand or style they would want to warn others away from? Poor fit, poor performance ... Or ... a brand, style or supplier they loved?

(2) Has anyone tried to put the single bulb headlight in a dual headlight system? The change in wiring and connector would be easy for me. I think you'd get more light from the single (larger reflector).

(3) I run upgraded, but DOT approved bulbs on my vehicles and I've found they do tend to burn out sooner as they burn brighter ie hotter. Anyone have a higher performance bulb they've run in the "angel eyes" style headlight they would recommend?

Just trying to learn from others experiences.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while it might be true that you may get more AREA of light from a larger reflector, the light will be less intense and not as bright overall in the places you want it to be bright. Headlights (within the same line, standard, silverstar, etc) all put out roughly the same amount of light (which is measured in lumens) Spreading the same amount of light over a larger area results in the light appearing more dim. think of it as the difference between a floodlight and a standard light bulb. The floodlight will light up a small area with a LOT of light, whereas the standard bulb will light the whole room, but with much less brightness than the "hot spot" of the flood.

I'm running IPD headlights in my car - and I love them. The low beams are projector style and the beam cutoff is fantastic. I'd recommend them to anyone.

As for brand, you can run the hellas, the silverstars, silverstar uptra, nokiyan, etc, but if you REALLY want an upgrade in light, switch to an aftermarket HID setup.

Hope that helps you out!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited headlight range

I have a 2007 C70 which I love except I cannot drive it at night. The low beams only go out about 25 feet then stop. It is totally dark beyond the 25 feet. I have already been stopped by the police for driving on high beams. He let me go but I need to address this problem. Any suggestions?