Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

HELP! Replacing the AC receiver/dryer (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Replacing the AC receiver/dryer (with pics)

Help! I'm trying to replace the receiver/dryer in my 95 850. The system has been empty for awhile now so all the refridgerant is gone.

I can take the "holder" off, however I don't know how to disconnect the two hoses that attach to the receiver/dryer. Attached are two pictures I took this afternoon:

Picture 1 is from the top, looking down. I have circled the area I think you disconnect the hose from the receiver/dryer.

Picture 2 is from the bottom, looking up. It's a picture of the hose that connects into the compressor itself. I have numbered the two places I think one could possibly turn a wrench and twist the hose off.

Any help?

Thanks!
matt

Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Default RE: HELP! Replacing the AC receiver/dryer (with pics)

I think that you will need a Volvo specific tool to disconnect those hoses.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:40 PM

I believe there is something called a "ford tool" - but they come in different sizes from what I can tell. Any idea what size as well? And I'm also looking for exactly where to disconnect the hoses.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes you will need to disconnect both connections.
First either remove the Bracket next to the High pressure switch or the Allen screw holding the lines to the body next to the highpressure switch.
Then disconnect the one in picture 1 then unhook the bracket and push the dryer down to under the car.
Then you can remove the 10mm screw and the bracket will slide off the dryer.
Then you will need a 7/8(22mm) and a 1 1/16 inch wrench to loosen the line.
Then it will come off.

The tool you need for the top is a common A/C line removal tool like in the link.
You will need the Black one.(Not sure of the Number size)
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...rtnumber=59652
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7238.html Like in this set.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/LIS-37000.html Or a set like this will work as well.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:39 PM

Mr. tech,

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a new accumulator and it has arrived. I also had the o-rings as well. The place that sent me the parts also printed off the offical volvo directions of how to replace the unit.

It mentions filling the accumulator with 90 cubic cm of oil. Does this have to be done prior to installation or can I take my replaced accumulator to a dealer and say "i replaced the accumulator, please put a vaccum on the system, put oil in, and recharge it"? Is that even something that is done?

thanks

Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Administrator

You can have them do it when they vaccum it and recharge the system.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM

OK thanks.

I scanned in the directions and attached them as a PDF document. I can follow them, but I am having trouble removing the line from the compressor as it seems it is welded on. I sprayed some boeingshield on the bolt to the compressor but it doesn't seem to have helped any. Any thoughts on how to actually get the bolt off the compressor? I practically stood on the hex tool and still no movement.

www.bluekarbondesign.com/ac.pdf

Also, I have absolutely NO idea how to use the tool to disconnect the "quick disconnect" coupling. I must be retarded, it is a "quick disconnect" but I can't figure out how to manipulate the tool.

I have attached a picture of the ac compressor and the bolt I believe I must remove to disconnect the hose from the compressor. Is that correct? If yes, any ideas how to get the thing moving? Or am I SOL here? Thanks again, you are very helpful.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5776/CF8CB0C7B9BE4DD0A37721031CE2B68C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator

If the line is good why remove it?

There is no need to remove it from there.

Once you get it loose from the quick disconnect then drop the dryer down as long as the Allen screw is out from above or 10mm.

For the tool send me a pic of which one you have and the dryer and I will explain to you on how to do it.

But once the dryer is down you ubscrew the Line from the top of the dryer. You will need a 7/8 and a 1 1/16 wrenches.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:27 PM

Mr. Tech,

Guess what! I got the "quick release" to "release"! It wasn't very quick and involved a lot of jimmying, but I finally saw the inside of the accumlator. I am going away on a trip now and had to put it back together but will be back in a few days, and will get the two wrenches you suggested when I come back and see if I can get this thing done!

EDIT: Also wanted to saw I like your way of getting the accumulator off much better. Hopefully I can pull it down through the bottom and with the grace of you know who get the thing to screw off.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Administrator

It shouldn't be that bad. If it gets stubborn lay the nut on the subframe and wack it good with a Hammer then it should come loose.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:09 PM

As a follow up to this, it took about 2.5 hours to do the job via "tech's way" and let me tell you once we figured out what to do it was pretty easy. Much easier than the "volvo directions". The 2.5 hour job included going to Lowe's to get another large wrench and NAPA to get some PB Blaster (and waiting 45 minutes for it to work) to get the bolt off the HP side of the accumulator. Overall I'd say it's doable in <1 hour if you have the right tools and know what to do, and everything goes your way.

I am taking it to a shop today to evacuate and recharge the system. I couldn't have done it without Tech's help! Hopefully the system will hold the charge a little bit longer now, if the evap is still leaking I don't mind putting a can in every two weeks or so over the summer. Beats paying $1500 for the new evaporator .

If someone happens to search this thread and needs to replace the accumulator, and has any questions, I'd be more than happy to help out. Sorry I didn't get any pictures, I forgot my camera.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Glad I could be of some help.

To bad you werent closer we could work out a deal to do the Evap.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Glad I could be of some help.

To bad you werent closer we could work out a deal to do the Evap.
I read somewhere you live in central FL? I used to live in sanford...had to move once Charley (2004) came through though.

The garage said that the car held the vaccum, if there was a leak it was pretty small. They filled it with 134a and it works for now. Hopefully this fixed the problem.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Sounds good.

Yes I live in Central Florida. 5 miles from Disney. Work in Winter Park.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Default quick release

How on earth do you get the quick release tool to work? Is there a trick to it or do you just keep working it? Would it help to spray it down with WD40 or something?

Thanks,
Sara

Old 07-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Default AC Repairs

My (drier) quick disconnect did not make a click when I disconnected or reconnected it (using the little plastic collar tool), but I can pull it apart. I used two new O-rings and oiled with PAG100. Does this sound normal? Or like I have a faulty connector/sleeve/whatever? I guess I will see tomorrow when I go get my brother to pull a vacuum on it before we refill it. It had not leaked out before by the way. Thanks

Tracy