Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

High Rpm's And Temputure Not Working, RPM's jump then temputure gauge go's down

Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Rpm's And Temputure Not Working, RPM's jump then temputure gauge go's down

I have a 1995 Volvo 850 Non Turbo, When i start my car up in the morning i let the car warm up but it takes like 20 mins to even warm up, the temperature gauge will shoot to 3PM then drop back down to zero then the will go back up little by little so when i take off to drive; it drives normal for like three - five mins then out of no where the RPM's will shoot up to about 1500-2000 then the car dives it self like it has curse control on and at a red light it revs higher to around 1600-1800 RPM's then when i tap the gas it acts like it will cut off an if i press it to hard it will cut off and it has cut off before when i pressed it to hard an it wont start for around 30 mins, an when it does start it will rev to about 3000 RPM's an i would have to hold down on the gas just to ensure it will not cut off on me when i put it in drive because it will cut off.

So when i start the car the temperature gauge will display it trying to warm up, then i drive the car after five mins it goes down to zero and the instantly the RPM's will jump high and the car will drive it self like i have the cruise control on but i dont. The temperature gauge will never go above the three o'clock position but when it does it goes up just a little bit but never any higher. When my fans kick on everything is fine but when the fan does not kick on i have these problems. I have an coolant boil out 5 days ago so i put coolant back in and hasn't boil out since.

Here's a Video of the High RPM's and the Temperature gauge not working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myr7TtsSZoM

And also my flex pipe is broken i can feel alot of air when i put my hand down their. And when i sit a while a light it smokes white or a light blue i cant really tell. The car is loud and its like i have a performance pipe on the car.

Here's a pic

Ok So could this be that my thermostat or the coolant sensor is bad causing my RPM's to go up an the temperature gauge not to work

Or

Could it be that i need a new flex pipe welded on due to all the air escape from it messing with the O2 Sensor causing this to happen. And i also have no catalytic converter it was stolen before i bought the car lol.

I'm getting a flex pipe form Advance Auto Parts here in Cincinnati,Oh tomorrow to be welded on and a new thermostat put in.

Do anyone know what size i need? I was thinking 2 1/4

Like this one here

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...|GRP2023A____#

And if i get this welded on, will the car quite down?

I recently had the battery replaced and the coil wire replace not the entire wire set.
When i had these two replace the car work great for two days and the problems came right back

Please help me i Just want to roll in my volvo

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should notice a big difference in noise and vibration after you install the flex pipe. I don't recall the pipe diameters, but the one from Advance could be too long. You should measure the diameters. BTW make sure you weld it, not bolt it.

On the temp / RPM issues: your CEL is on, did you pull the codes?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this issue on my 850 turbo...replaced the coolant temperature probe on the thermostat housing and everything was better.

Between that and the flex pipe, you should be in good shape pretty quick.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. It's idling high because the coolant sensor is telling it the engine is cold, which it is because your thermostat is stuck open. Replace the thermostat and do coolant change while at it.
  2. Get the exhaust fixed asap! Your brain cells (CO poisioning is happening..) and your neighbors will thank you!
BTW: let us know if that flex coupling works; would be surprised if it fits. Most either replace the whole exhaust header w/new or used part.