Go Back   Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum > Volvo Vehicles > Volvo 850
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Volvo Forums!
Welcome to Volvo Forums,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Volvo Forums today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Default How to torque Strut cross nut

95 850 glt, On the front struts, how do you achieve a proper torque setting on that cross shaped nut above the strut mount and spring seat? Thanks! Dave
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM

Buy or make a socket that will fit it. Next time I do struts, I will grind an old socket.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:23 PM
1996 Volvo 850

Ive never torqued that nut... I dont know if it needs to be but I have never..
Also I just use a adjustable wrench to remove it and put it on.

1995 854 T5-R Yellow
1996 854 T-5 Plenty of mods but who really cares

www.Floridavolvocommunity.com
Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM

Default cross nut

VT- I thought about grinding a socket to fit, seems like that would weaken it till it could break. The main question is- to use a torque wrench (socket) id have to hold the flat on the end of the strut. Cant hold the flat if I've got a socket on there! I've seen a listing, maybe in my repair manual saying the cross shaped nut and the top nut both are to be torqued to 52 lbs. I just don't want it loosening up! Maybe a socket on an air wrench you just blast that sucker on there fast. That's probably what Midas would do. D
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM
1994 Volvo 850
My Garage

Channel Lock, pipe wrench, big pliers. And torque it down? I never torque that to spec. I tighten it down as tight as my little arms will let me. There really is no way to torque it because it can only go down so far because of the design of the struts. And then strut mount bushings and nut also hold that down.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Default torque it

OK- guess that will work for me- I'll just tighten that cross nut as tight as I can then air ratchet the top nut. Thanks! Dave
Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Tags
850, cross, loose, nut, replacement, s70, seat, settings, spring, strut, tighten, tightening, torque, torquing, volvo