Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Is the "INFO" trip computer dash switch supposed to be backlit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the "INFO" trip computer dash switch supposed to be backlit?

I had a computer and switch from a 1996 850 installed in my 1995 GLT and it doesn't light up at night like the rest on my dash switches. Is this normal or is there a bulb hidden somewhere that needs replacing. (I can't seem to get a response on my other post on this so I thought I'd try this again.)

Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Is the "INFO" trip computer dash switch supposed to be backlit?

No, I don't believe it is. I know ours isn't and I didn't see a provision for a light when I had the swicth out.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it is supposed to be illuminated but the lamp is soldered in. A couple of people have tried to take the switch apart to fix it but they were not able to get it re-assembled properly.

...Lee

Old 09-30-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Ozark Lee

Actually it is supposed to be illuminated but the lamp is soldered in. A couple of people have tried to take the switch apart to fix it but they were not able to get it re-assembled properly.

...Lee
Wow! That doesn't seemtypical for Volvo.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:00 PM

Wow! That doesn't seemtypical for Volvo.
Actually the 1993 and 1994 models had all of the switch lamps soldered in. I took all ofmy switchesapart on my 1994, changed the bulbs withthe Radio Shack 272-1092 lamps, and then put them back together. The dealer solution was to sell me new switches at over $50.00 each. I guess by sometime in 1995 they figured out they had a problem and redesigned the switch so that the lamps could be field changed by mortals.

...Lee

Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM

Well, my switch is a newer one and thereis nota bulb in the back of it. Would it be inside the yellow housing somewhere?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM

Unfortunately, the info switch never got the updated design. Only one of my cars has the info panel and the light still works so I have not tried to change the bulb.

...Lee

Old 09-30-2008, 07:58 PM

I pulled out all of the switches in that row of the dash and the "INFO" switch was the only one without bulb access in the back. I'm not going to chance taking it apart since I've been visited by Murphy on a frequent basis when it comes to stuff like this.
I guess that will be the only switch on my dash that's not illuminated - the first thing that's not working properly in my 13 year-old pride and joy.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:46 PM

I just changed the light in INFO button on my 1995 Volvo 850 this weekend. The bulb inside is just like other switches, but the plastic holder is a lot shorter. You can still replace it with the Radio Shack bulb mentioned or similar - any 12V micro bulb 3mm diameter will do. I got mine at local electronics supply shop, since there are no Radio Shacks in Canada. The trick is, of course, in that bulb is not accessible from outside. You have to dismantle the switch (there are 4 tabs holding two halves together). Inside, you will find a small circuit board, with a 1.5mm or so plastic back attached to it. The whole thing just slides out - press on connector pins from back of the switch to push the board out. To remove the bulb holder "properly", you would need to unsolder 4 pins first, which would be a waste of time. A simpler solution is to cut away the plastic behind the bulb holder. Of course, you have to be careful. I used a dremel tool to partially cut into most of the plastic and then I snapped it off - enough to expose and remove the holder, it will be obvious when you look at it. You could probably use an xacto knife or a small hand saw or whatever. Just don't cut into the circuit board. Removal of this bit of plastic will have no negative effect on function of the switch, and it will make replacement simple next time it blows out. It is hard to understand why Volvo didn't shape this piece such that bulb holder can be removed easily from the circuit board, but no biggie.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Ozark Lee
Actually the 1993 and 1994 models had all of the switch lamps soldered in. I took all ofmy switchesapart on my 1994, changed the bulbs withthe Radio Shack 272-1092 lamps, and then put them back together. The dealer solution was to sell me new switches at over $50.00 each. I guess by sometime in 1995 they figured out they had a problem and redesigned the switch so that the lamps could be field changed by mortals.

...Lee
I did the same thing. Kind of a pain, but works very well... I just wish that I could replace them with blue LED's